• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and infections?!

I've been on Humirs for almost 2 years...no real bad things to say about it

Until my Gi upped the dose to once a week.
I have been on 6 or so antibiotics since September!!!! I usually only need antibiotics once every couple of years.

Is anyone else experiencing increased sinus infections and other miscellaneous non-CD related infections on weekly doses of Humira???

Hi,

I'm currently taking it every other week and will be discussing going to weekly with my GI in ten days of so. I find that I have periods when colds, sinus infections and sore throats get troublesome and just come one after the other. Currently double dosing antibiotics for an angry fistula. The month or so previously I've been fine.

I'm looking forward to getting rid of the pain in my backside some day!

Mark

Molly...

Your story is not surprising. It sounds like Humira is doing what it is designed to do, put your immune system in check. However, it may be TOO effective. If your Crohn's is not flaring, maybe your GI doc could cut back to every 10-days.

Dr. S (spouse of Crohn's sufferer)

I'm on weekly Humira and my general health is better than it has been for a long time, including shrugging off the usual colds as quickly as I ever have done. If I feel virus-y I take my temperature and maybe delay the injection a day or two to get over whatever it is I'm fighting.

I was on Humira 2/3 years ago (before we started trying to have a baby) when I was on it I didn't get sick much but I did contract the HCV which is like a common cold to most but to us it is like I had meningitis, they got scared cause all I wanted to do was sleep. They took me off of it and within a week I was better.. Just watch what you are doing. and take it easy.

I have had rotating infections since starting Humira, lately have been OK though. After starting Humira I had multiple bouts of strep throat and had to have my tonsils removed, later I had pneumonia twice, once that cleared up, then I had multiple UTI's in a row. My urologist had me on daily antibiotics for about a year and a half, and I just recently went off them. I am nervously waiting to see if I go back to having UTI's often.

What I have learned--lots of Purell/hand santizer or wash hands often, don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth unless you have just washed your hands (these are the most common routes for germs to get into the body) and I *never* touch bathroom fixtures (flush with your foot/use a towel or elbow to shut off the water at the sink) or doorknobs (open with a paper towel or sleeve) in public bathrooms.

I get no less/more infections on Humira.

I always got sinus infections / bronchitis for many many years before the H.

Is it possible we have become hyper-aware of every little thing being on Humira??

I don't think I've had more infections on Humira. I don't get colds any more than I did before. I did get C. diff but that may be because I was put on antibiotics for a flare/because of Crohn's.