• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and Listeria infection

Hello

I started Humira about 5 weeks ago - had 3 doses so far.

When the nurse came to my home to train me, she went through all the things I had to avoid whilst on this drug. She mentioned the danger of Listeria and told me that I should not eat certain foods such as soft cheeses, pate, smoked salmon, any unpasteurised foods etc.

To those of you that have been on Humira for over a year - have any of you eat these foods and been OK? Or were you also told at the beginning to avoid certain foods?

Thanks 🌻

Hello

I started Humira about 5 weeks ago - had 3 doses so far.

When the nurse came to my home to train me, she went through all the things I had to avoid whilst on this drug. She mentioned the danger of Listeria and told me that I should not eat certain foods such as soft cheeses, pate, smoked salmon, any unpasteurised foods etc.

To those of you that have been on Humira for over a year - have any of you eat these foods and been OK? Or were you also told at the beginning to avoid certain foods?

Thanks 🌻

I have never been told this and I have been on Humira for two years. My Doctor in Chicago was a leading investigator for Abbot now Abbvie. He is a leading expert on Crohns. I had smoked salmon with my bagel this morning and two days ago. I am not lactose intolerant So dairy is ok with me. But I was not warned about any of the things you mentioned and I have had them with Humira for two years without an issue. Unless your on other drugs that may give them a reason for concern?
I'd talk to your Doctor, see what he/she says.

Hi Scaryman
I took your advice and spoke to my IBD nurse and she also said that I should avoid those type of foods as apparently Listeria infection can take up to 3-6 months to affect you.
Still hoping that I can eat smoked salmon & cream cheese bagels one day soon!
Thanks

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks for that Lisa.
You mention that you still enjoy soft cheeses, smoked salmon. What meds do you take and for how long.
I would really love a smoked salmon bagel on Xmas Day but am quite nervous because the Humira nurse made a really big issue about Listeria when she was educating me.
Thanks in anticipation
Carol

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
CeeCee - I am on Remicade, have been for over 9 years now.....throughout the ENTIRE time on it I have enjoyed by smelly cheeses (as my husband calls them), smoked salmon (a grocery store here sells the salmon trim a TON cheaper than sliced smoked salmon lol)....ok, now I want to stop and get some for Christmas! hmm.....

I think if you look at this information I found on line at medicine.net -
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=121587&page=2

How does Listeria get into food?

Listeria monocytogenes is found in soil and water. Vegetables can become contaminated from the soil or from manure used as fertilizer. Animals can carry the bacterium without appearing ill and can contaminate foods of animal origin such as meats and dairy products. The bacterium has been found in a variety of raw foods, such as uncooked meats and vegetables, as well as in processed foods that become contaminated after processing, such as soft cheeses and cold cuts at the deli counter. Unpasteurized (raw) milk or foods made from unpasteurized milk may contain the bacterium.
You pretty much can get it from anything - the key is buying from a reputable grocer, and washing other foods before eating. That being said, I garden, have horses, and often will pick and eat right in the garden - omg...without washing the produce (except for a wipe on my pants lol).....

I don't mean to be flippant, but I do want you (and anyone else reading) to realize that the risks may be small - and sometimes people who mean well can cause unnecessary fear and concern whan all the facts are not given.

Here is another reference, from the FDA - but be warned, it can be very alarming if you don't realize the actual risk is SMALL!
http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/HealthEducators/ucm083320.htm

Thanks Lisa for all your advice and the useful links.

I think I have let myself get in 'a bit of a tizz' about this and realise now I just have to be sensible.

Smoked salmon bagels - here I come! :dance::dance:

started on Humira yesterday - was told soft cheese ok ... i asked about brie/camembert etc and that was fine but not blue cheese or sushi - didn't think to ask about smoked salmon which is a fave of mine ... only when i went to put it in my basket! I have a follow up in a couple of weeks so will check then....

I was told this by my IBD nurse. She stressed however that it applied to unpasteurized food only. Like blue cheese and egg/milk products. I've eaten plenty of smoked salmon from reputable supermarkets and i've never had trouble. I've alwats found with all my years of surgeries and injections/tests/tablets that it's about finding a balance. Don't tell anyone but I may even pick up a heavy box every now and again.