• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and Rash?

I started humira last month and now i have horrible itchy skin around my neck,chest,ears. When i shower it gets really red. When i put lotion on it ,it burns. Anyone else had this happen. Not sure if its connected.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
It very well could be and I'd mention it to your doctor right away. Does taking Benadryll help at all? I only get a red itchy welt at the injection site and Benadryll clears it up but rashes and hives are listed as possible serious side effects http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000219/ so definitely let someone know. It may be an allergic reaction.

David

Co-Founder
Does it get worse when you're in the sun? Do you have any rash on your face?

Either way, I agree with Crabby, get checked by your doctor.

I had a lot of hives on Humira. I ended up having atarax prescribed to take at night which got rid of the itching. In stopping the drug, all of the rashes ended.

I've been getting sunburnt and my skin is going red and flaking even with sunscreen and I have cracks around my ears.
I find that hard to cope with as I'm an out-doorsy type. I've been on humira since March. The skin sensitivity has gotten worse the last few days. It will be another few days before i get to go to the doctor. I hope it rains.

I have a rash over my nose and cheeks and it really resembles a lupus type rash. It's weird but sometimes I get symptoms of other auto immune diseases on these meds. I think I got acute symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis while on remicade once. That was freaky.

Its been awhile but better late than never :D. I finally got into the dermatologist and they think its allergic contact dermatitis or spongiosis dermatitis. My son started getting symptoms of it too. So who knows. I do have a history of eczema. It has calmed down.

To the previous commenter. I have been having ra symptoms while on humira. My wrist,fingers,hips,feet all hurt. Strange.