• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira & Antibiotics

I'm currently taking Augmentin for a sinus & ear infection. How long do I need to wait to take my next Humira dose? I was under the understanding that I should wait to finish the antibiotic & clear the infection before resuming the Humira? What have your docs & pharmacists advised you to do? Thanks for your help!

theOcean

I was always under this impression, too. But I've been on Humira while on three different antibiotics at once, even recently. I've never been told to go off, or wait. Only if I was getting surgery.

So you should be fine to still get your injection!

Hope the sinus stuff clears up soon. :hug: That's never fun.

A pharmacist @ the local pharmacy I go to told me that I shouldn't do Humira while on antibiotics! When I called my GI's office I was told if I wasn't running a fever and over the sinus infection that I could take my next dose!! Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!!

my little penguin

Staff member
Same here Ds was permitted to take humira once fever was gone and he was on abx for over 24 hours
Only had to stop humira when he developed mastoiditis despite being on two abx for an ear infection
After that incident the Gi/Rheumo are a little more cautious with infections for Ds and humira

I had a really deep chest cough in August 2015 I could not shake after a day, called the dr and he suspended the next dose of Humira. After two antibiotics and a week and a half, cough went away and I was able to take the next dose of Humira on time with dr. approval. Cough never developed into anything else - lucky me.