• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira as a maintenance med (post surgery)

On Wednesday I'm seeing my Gastroenterologist for follow up after my stoma reversal. Should I be asking to go back on Humira as a maintenance med?. My only symptom right now is a lot of loose bm's, but I am led to believe this is not unusual after stoma reversal while colon learns to process food again.

Interested to know other peoples experience with post surgery maintenance meds, esecially in Australia.

nogutsnoglory

I would say yes, your disease had exhibited aggressive tendencies resulting in your need for a stoma. It's best to play defense, as for which drug is best that would be in discussion with your doctor. I was put on Humira after my first resection.

That's great news about your reversal Gra.
You must be pleased.
I'm still taking Humira - but frankly - it's not working.
I'm now taking 40mg Pred, started 6MP about ten days ago - and it's really kicking me around, and then the Humira that didn't control the disease and put me into a flare post reversal.
If it worked for you as a maintenance med prior to the surgery - I guess you should keep using it.
I'm at the point where I feel like I'm wasting taxpayers money on the PBS using a drug that isn't working. But I'm kinda running outta options.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have read that loose stools can be common after a take down. As for maintenance therapy following surgery, that's up to you if you want to continue on it but Crohn's can creep up at anytime so maintenance meds are all about keeping people in remission. After my resection I continued my medication. I'm not sure if I would have gone 14 years without it but it was worth it. At least talk to your GI about it and go from there. :)

Your gi should be able to give you direction. It really depends on your disease and what parts it was affecting.

My Crohn's was isolated to my colon and rectum, and now that those are both gone, the likelihood of Crohn's returning is low. If your disease affected your ileum or small bowel, then you'll likely want to be on preventative maintenence.

As Jennifer mentioned, it is normal to have loose stools after surgery.