• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira - Breast cancer + Crohn's

Considering (strongly encouraged by gastro and research gastro) Humira four years after invasive breast cancer (treated with mastectomy and chemo followed by estrogen blockers for five years - year and a half to go). Can't find any cases of Humira AFTER cancer, because anyone with cancer isn't allowed in any study of TNF blockers.

Diagnosed with Crohn's in 1998, small bowel resection 6 months after finishing chemo for breast cancer - ugly!

Since resection (3 years ago) symptoms just keep escalating with no remission - on Prednisone now.

Anyone have cancer BEFORE starting Humira? Any words of wisdom about the risks/benefits? I know it's my decision, my crap (hah!) shoot, but I am facing fear vs hope....

I'm sorry I have no pearls of wisdom to offer I just wanted to say that I hope you get the info you need to help you make your decision. Take care and God bless. :ghug: also welcome to the forum we're very glad you joined us.:)

Sorry no words of wisdom here either but if your breast cancer is in remission why can't you go on anti TNF?
The concern from all doctors (both oncologist and gastroenterologists) is that TNF blockers suppress the immune system, and the immune system is what keeps cancer cells from proliferating. All TNF blockers raise cancer risks, but no one has any data on anyone who had cancer BEFORE trying a TNF blocker.

Imuran and that class of drugs are an absolute NO from the oncologist, but she says I can try Humira, though I might be opening the door to more cancer....

nogutsnoglory

What about a drug like methotrexate which is essentially chemo. It would fight Crohn's and keep cancer cells at bay? Not sure about breast cancer cells specifically since I believe it's used for Leukimia.

Darn HF, you really are between a rock and a hard place huh?

I had several contraindications to Humira, and had to do a lot of research and thinking before I agreed. I have constant thrush/yeast that medication won't take away, and also allergic to Imuran that gave my liver problems. These are definitely reasons NOT take it. Anyway, I'm starting it this Friday.

Weighed the benefits/risks and decided to go for it. I think being 56 also helped my decision.

Previous cancer is a big one though. No pearls of wisdom for you, but I wish you the best with your decision! :ghug:

Will ask about methotrexate - I know it's been discussed, but I don't think I have ever taken it?

Have in my notes to also address yeast/thrush - I have had trouble with my mouth since chemo, and the only thing that helped was clotrimazole troches - better, but not great. No physical signs of thrush or yeast, so diagnosis is burning mouth syndrome. Do not want to aggravate that problem!

Just want to pipe in and show some support. Once again, it's just a crappy disease. Good luck on your next step. And please keep us posted. Sue

Yes - my oncologist did an online search and came up with a woman who was diagnosed with both breast cancer and lymphoma after starting Humira. Lymphoma is all over the Humira warnings, as well as skin cancer.

I did start Humira - did my four doses a week ago Thursday. Very, very fatigued - but seems to be receding, getting my energy back. No change in symptoms, but not expecting any yet....