• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira Club Support Group

okay, i gave myself my 2 shots at home on friday.
when i was at the doc office we did all four in stomach w/out ice and it didn't seem too bad. I decided i would do my two in the thigh to see what that felt like and i used the cute little ice pack they gave me in the kit. THIGH HURTS WAY WORSE!!! I will def be injecting my stomach from now on. I also had a small lump then itchy for a few hours afterward but that went away.

I think the Humira started working for me on day 8. That was the first day in a while that i was able to go out and stay out all day. My D has significantly lowered to like 2-3 times a day but i was having bad side effects from prednisone so i just got the okay to taper down to 20mg/day from 30/day. So far so good, and ins approved with assistance so i will only be paying $5 a month...and since the dr office gave me the starter kit for free i was still approved for a starter so i will have an extra supply of shots on hand. :)

I am very excited because of all the different meds i've tried this is by far the most symptom relief i've had in 6 months. We'll see how it continues to go.

Hey guys! Started Humira on Friday...I'm with many of you on the fact that the leg hurts like h@##! OMG...will definitely not do that again! That being said...did anyone have abdominal tenderness several days after their shots? Just wondering if my abdominal pain is from the shot or something else. Didn't have any pain yesterday (the day after the shot)...anyone with similar experience?

Thanks! Tammy (aka btpingrey)

Leg was worse, but the discomfort subsided rather quickly. The shots (3) in the stomach were painless. I guess it's because I have a large stomach surface area with plenty of cutaneous.....;)

I've never tried 'shooting up' in the thigh, tummy has been fine.

Just waiting to hear what my consultant's registrar is going to be able to do this afternoon - my fortnightly shot is lasting the distance and now my back or SI joints are hurting like hell. Urg, it really doesn't end.

Well, it will be a week tomorrow that I took the loading dose.

I have had no signs of any reaction whatsoever. My psoriasis cleared up in a few days. I'm waiting on the fistula to close.

Has anyone else had such an easy time with Humira?

Honestly, I was awaiting "something" not so good to happen.

Cheers

I've been on it today for 2 months exactly and have experienced no adverse reactions besides a headache the first day. It made me feel better right away, but it seems the maintenance doses aren't enough to keep me symptom-free. I find out this Friday how my meds might change.

Just saw my CR doc. He said it was time to remove the 3 Seton loops thru the perianal fistula! Cut, snip....pull and they"re out.

How do you spell relief???? NOSETONS

What a difference, I feel normal again!

Now, if the Humira closes the fistula before anything develops.

Bliss! I only had one seton, but I feel your relief!

My fistula tract was bunged up with fibrin glue and a stitch. Even so surgeon was most surprised when I went to see him a month later that I hadn't abscessed again. <crosses fingers for you>

Humira Arrives Today!

Well, supposedly, the Humira will be arriving via FedEx today. Finally! So I won't be leaving the house until it gets here! And I have an appointment with the Nurse Practitioner to do the first dose in the morning. It's been great to read through all of your experiences, so now I know what to try then things go awry! Ice, hydra-cortisone cream, thigh, stomach :voodoo:

Anyone else have to go through CuraScript? What a pain in the a$$. On the bright side, I was approved for the $5 copay.

ameslouise

Ameslouise...In da Humira house!

Starting loading dose today after HORRIBLE scope this morning and admission that the alternative route isn't doing jacksh*t for me.

Still had the Humira in my fridge - hubber bringing it down to hospital right now and we are going to fire it up!

Will let you know how it goes! - Amy

I'm joining the weekly Humira Club too. Forgot to update! I asked my GI about patients taking weekly shots (as I noticed several people on the board have moved on to weekly shots) and he said it's becoming more "popular" to move on to weekly doses. I think he said 50% of patients using Humira are injecting weekly. Interesting!

Chris (CrohnsHobo) - I was thinking the other day about how much food trouble you've been having. Has it become more difficult since starting Humira or was it bad before then too? Wonder if weekly shots would help you tolerate more food? I can't remember if you said you were still struggling with inflammation or not.

Welcome to the club, Amy!

On a Humira-related note... I had SUCH an issue with my injection today! Couldn't bring myself to poke the needle into my stomach, so had to do the leg, and then I just couldn't poke the needle through my skin. It took me almost an hour for one injection today! Geeeeez... I just had to keep telling myself though, that it was better than the misery I would feel if I didn't take the shot...

I really think it's working now, I've been completely off Pred now for 2 weeks and all's well... Well, except the two days a week I feel like crap from the methotrexate. :S

Are you doing syringes or injector pens? I'm using pens. I'm glad I have the pens because I don't think I could stick myself.

I'm glad the Humira is working for you! :)

I'm doing the syringes! I assumed all Humira newbies got the Pen, so I didn't specify when my doc wrote the prescription... When I got home, and opened the box and realized they were syringes, I freaked a little bit, but the nurse showed me how to use them and they really aren't that bad at all.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
MsSickandTired said:
I'm doing the syringes! I assumed all Humira newbies got the Pen, so I didn't specify when my doc wrote the prescription... When I got home, and opened the box and realized they were syringes, I freaked a little bit, but the nurse showed me how to use them and they really aren't that bad at all.

When I was on Humira, I used the syringes too. But I am not afraid of needles, and thought the pens looked like pain. Too bad it didnt work for me. :(

I think my body can tell it needs more Humira. Last night I started feeling more gassy and needing to pass a BM through out the night, but couldn't really (I'm a once a day in the morning kind of person). Thank goodness today is my injection day, but wow. That may be an indication that I really DO need something else on top of this Humira. Either that, or it could be me and my lovely menstrual business that's around the corner.

ameslouise

Took my first doses last night. Legs - OUCH! Stomach - much better. Not nearly as painful as a hepririn (sp?) shot if you've ever had one of those. And way less painful than surgery so I can take it.

I have some pain in my hips this morning - not sure if it's from the hosp bed which is really uncomfrotable b/c the foot part doesn;t come up to flat, or Humira related. I didn't see joint pain on the side effects list, but I got joint pain from both Remi and cyclosporene.

Anyone have joint pain from Humira?

- A

No joint pain for me, but when I got home from the hospital my hips were sore because I had to do the barium follow-through and lay on that super comfortable metal table.

Wasn't sure if maybe you had to lay on your side for your scopes or something. :) Just a thought.

No joint pain either.

I did one shot in the legs too. Not again!

I do my Metho in the leg with no problem, but for some reason the Humira really stings.

dreamintwilight said:
I think my body can tell it needs more Humira. Last night I started feeling more gassy and needing to pass a BM through out the night, but couldn't really (I'm a once a day in the morning kind of person). Thank goodness today is my injection day, but wow. That may be an indication that I really DO need something else on top of this Humira. Either that, or it could be me and my lovely menstrual business that's around the corner.
Hey Marisa, did you start the weekly shots yet? I noticed this week I felt especially rumbly and thought it was because my last Humira shot was losing effectiveness... but then I realised this was also my 'lady-business week'... It makes things so much worse, for me at least.

And, Amy; No, I haven't experienced joint pain associated with Humira. I do get sore joints every week when I take my methotrexate, though. I'm sure the joint pain is assocated with the Metho. because I am sore the day of an the day after I take my Metho. dose.

I started my weekly shots today actually. Yeah...it could be my lady business complicating things since I'm due any day now. I'm trying to pay more attention to that kind of stuff.

I also started on a new brand of probiotics that say it's normal for constipation, abdominal pain, and/or diarrhea to occur due to the gut environment changing (though I have been taking probiotics, but switched to a different brand that doesn't require me to take so many pills in a day - not sure if it's a different type of probiotics or not).

So, I've got several things going on at the same time, so it's hard to tell which is affecting me right now, haha. I'll just have to see if things improve :)

Round 2 tonight!

Saying goodbye to the fistula;)

With only two weeks in I do feel much better. No more lower right quadrant pain, no gas or belching.
My skin has cleared up of the psoriosis.
People say, "hey Mike, you look better".

Yeah!

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Great news Mike!!!!!!!!!! I dont come on this thread much cause I havent been on Humira in almost 2 years, didnt work for me but it sounds like it is working for you good stuff!!!:smile:

Thanks Pen.

Just did the deed, 2nd dosing complete.

Question.......

How are you supposed to remember where you have injected yourself each time, as they state to keep 1" away from the previous site?

Anyone?

I thought that was pretty impossible too. I just try to inject on the opposite side every time I give myself shots. But no, I don't write down where I've injected myself like the book suggests to do.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
MikeinBklyn said:
Thanks Pen.

Just did the deed, 2nd dosing complete.

Question.......

How are you supposed to remember where you have injected yourself each time, as they state to keep 1" away from the previous site?

Anyone?
When I got the kit from Humira they put in a diagram of the body and you circle on it where you did your last injection site. Up or down the leg, side... I did the left leg, next the right leg, then left abdomen and right ab and rotated. It was easier that way. Hope that helps.:smile:

Man my injection last night really hurt. For a good couple of hours afterwords I was really sore at the injection site. Didn't hurt while doing it, just after.

I am fine today and no bruise, but man that hurt. Getting really sick of Humiara and Metho injections. But they are working.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I get my metho shot tomorrow and it never hurts but a nurse does it not me and in the fatty area above my butt lol ;). When doing it yourself I would ice the area first, and or pinch it, helps alot.

I went to the doctor's office one week ago today to do my loading dose of Humira. 4 shots total (I guess that's the same for everyone). The nurse practitioner did the first shot and told me I was going to do the rest. Yikes!

So we did alternate thigh, thigh, stomach-rt, stomach-lft. It's not the jab that hurts, yet the 10 slooooooow seconds of the Humira being pushed into your skin! I just wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible. The nurse said, "we can take a break between shots if you'd like". I was like "Noooooooo. Let's just do this." Haha. Is it weird that I felt a small sense of accomplishment afterwards? I overcame my fear of injecting myself!

Jettalady said:
I get my metho shot tomorrow and it never hurts but a nurse does it not me and in the fatty area above my butt lol ;). When doing it yourself I would ice the area first, and or pinch it, helps alot.
I ice every time. I do my Metho in my legs and the Humiara in my stomach (tried leg once and that really hurt).

The Metho shots do not bother me, but the Humiara ones really burn going in and that one in my stomach yesterday was really tender at the injection site for about three hours afterwords. Fine today with no mark.

SoutherCrohnie - I was the same way when I had my loading doses the first day. My nurse asked if I wanted ot take a break and I was like "I'd rather get them over with!" And then afterwards I felt pretty accomplished too. Like I could do anything, haha. I think I was so nervous before hand I was just relieved to have it done.

Chris - Perhaps you just hit/knicked a blood vessel or something.

dreamintwilight said:
Chris - Perhaps you just hit/knicked a blood vessel or something.
Aye, something. Never had it hurt like that for so long afterwords before. This is also with the regular syringes and not the pens. The pens were so much easier.

dreamintwilight said:
Ah yeah. I'm glad I have the pens. No thought required :)
My prescription coverage mails drugs three months at a time. After my initial dose of Pens they sent me three months worth of the refills but of the syringe. Was not very happy, but they are covering everything in full so I can't complain . . . much.

hi i have been a crohnie for over 25 years and thinking of trying Humira.
when on humira do you stop other meds such as pentaza, azathiopine etc?
tried remicade twice and had bad side effects and no relief. i dont like injections but they have to be better than the side effects i get from the present cocktail of drugs im on.

Trev said:
hi i have been a crohnie for over 25 years and thinking of trying Humira.
when on humira do you stop other meds such as pentaza, azathiopine etc?
tried remicade twice and had bad side effects and no relief. i dont like injections but they have to be better than the side effects i get from the present cocktail of drugs im on.
Not sure about those meds, but I am Humiara and take Methotrexate and Prednisone.

I'm about to start on Imuran (azathioprine) and I'm on Humira right now and plan to stay on it (I am now getting them weekly as opposed to every other week).

Hey guys...anyone have reaction after second injection? I had no problems with the first injection (two weeks ago), but did the second injection Friday and have red whelps with a lot of itching. Am on Entocort as well. Just curious if this is "normal."

Hey CodeBrown;
Yeah, I didn't have any reactions to my first 7 shots (That's including the loading dose), but the last 4 have gotten soooo itchy and swollen. If anything, I would think the Entocort should reduce the inflammation? That's probably why my first shots didn't react, because I was still on prednisone. Soooo, just be careful, your reactions might get worse as you taper the Entocort... just keep an eye out.

OK, I took my second dose of the big H last eek, ed. Since then I have been feeling a general malaise with cold like symptoms.

My psoriosis is starting to show itself again.

The fistula is bothering me. I swear it was gone last Thurs eve, I even told my Dad that Humira was a miricle drug.

Now I'm wondering if this stuff will in fact work at all.

Despressed.

Don't give up yet, Mike! I just got bumped up to weekly shots, so perhaps if things continue to feel crummy you might bring this up with your doc. My GI said it can take up to 6 months to see full effects. I heard some others say they felt really worn out and tired, especially when it's around their loading dose days. You are giving yourself less and less each time remember. So it might just be your body is adjusting to the medicine still!

So I've been on Humira for a couple of months now, and I'm happy to report it's been wonderful so far. I was previously on Remicade, but my body eventually built antibodies to the Remicade and it lost it's effectiveness.

So now with this anti-TNF drug, my GI is thinking I couple Humira with MTX or 6-MP to suppress my body from building the antibodies and therefore, the Humira would work for a longer period of time.

The only problem is, I've read that a rare and incurable disease has been seen when anti-TNF drugs are combined with immunomodulators (i.e. MTX or 6-MP), particularly seen in young men.

Again, it's extremely rare ...but it's still common enough for a pattern to have been noticed ...right? So am I being paranoid for just sticking with Humira by itself, or should I just suck it up and throw the 6-MP on top of it.

My thoughts are that I should just stick with Humira until the end, and then there's always Cimzia, and experimental treatment like LDN.

Ughhh ...these types of decisions suck.

jecoll said:
So I've been on Humira for a couple of months now, and I'm happy to report it's been wonderful so far. I was previously on Remicade, but my body eventually built antibodies to the Remicade and it lost it's effectiveness.

So now with this anti-TNF drug, my GI is thinking I couple Humira with MTX or 6-MP to suppress my body from building the antibodies and therefore, the Humira would work for a longer period of time.

The only problem is, I've read that a rare and incurable disease has been seen when anti-TNF drugs are combined with immunomodulators (i.e. MTX or 6-MP), particularly seen in young men.

Again, it's extremely rare ...but it's still common enough for a pattern to have been noticed ...right? So am I being paranoid for just sticking with Humira by itself, or should I just suck it up and throw the 6-MP on top of it.

My thoughts are that I should just stick with Humira until the end, and then there's always Cimzia, and experimental treatment like LDN.

Ughhh ...these types of decisions suck.
I have taken Humira and Metho together since the beginning of February. Though my Dr. said if I am still doing well by next February I could come off one . . . the problem knowing which one is helping me the most?

MsSickandTired said:
Hey CodeBrown;
Yeah, I didn't have any reactions to my first 7 shots (That's including the loading dose), but the last 4 have gotten soooo itchy and swollen. If anything, I would think the Entocort should reduce the inflammation? That's probably why my first shots didn't react, because I was still on prednisone. Soooo, just be careful, your reactions might get worse as you taper the Entocort... just keep an eye out.
That's what mine are doing (bright red, itchy, and really swollen)...it's been almost a week and the injection site is still a reddish/brown color, although the itching has subsided. I will definitely monitor it when I start to taper off the Entocort.

jecoll,

If I were you I'd ride out the Humira and see if you build a resistance.
Blood tests are paramount to monitor your levels.

I ain't no doctor but that sure seems like alot of immunosuppresant.

I'm in my 5th week and so far so good. My doc has me taking a blood test every 2 weeks.

Good Luck.

Hi Everyone! Had my GI appointment today. Got my Humira Prescription in my purse!! Have a Case worker calling me in a couple days. She does everything to get me set up ,insurance wise! Then gives me my loading dose. I am scared but EXCITED ! My doctor feels this is the way to go. Imuran has just not been strong enough to heal fistulas. Have had severe joint pain and swelling the last couple weeks again. My GI is moving to Newfoundand in July and wants to get me on this ASAP, before he goes. I had a skin allergy test today, go for more bloodwork and chest Xray tomorrow. I am hoping for the BEST!!

Good Luck can1991.

I am on the Humira for fistulas and can report that after 4 weeks my fistula is soooo much better, it is starting to close!

I thought I was having a set back but it looks like it was a blip on the screen.

Good Luck!

Thanks Marisa,

As I am sure you understand, every little funny feeling or sensation makes you doubt everything.

I have become paranoid when it comes to my health, unfortunatley, Chrohn's ain't the only thing to worry about. There are other issues as well, sooo the cycle of ups and downs.

Cheers

I completely understand and know what you mean, Mike. Any time I get a pain in my leg I think "Blood clot!" Sometimes I feel a bit paranoid as well. My husband knows I am a worrier, but boy if he only knew half the stuff that goes through my mind during the day, haha! I'm sure once we've been on Humira for a while we can start to check one of the worries off the list, but I can completely sympathize!

ameslouise

I had my 2nd dose of Humira 7 days ago. No injection reaction, swelling or welts... but a few days after the shot, I started to feel a twinge in my injection site. Not pain or itching, just a "twinge."

It seems to be subsiding now. Any one else have this happen? - Amy

I wish I just got a twinge! :) (only joking, of course)

I am going to take a picture of my next injection site reaction... My last one got to 8" in diameter, and RED and HOT. I had the shot on Wednesday, and saw my GI Thursday. I told him I've been having reactions. He didn't even ask to see it, and I felt awkward asking 'Do you want to see my injection site?'... Well, on Friday it got even WORSE, and itched so much I was going to lose my mind. I was at work putting bags of frozen fruit on my leg just to calm the swelling... Geez, I hope it doesn't keep getting worse and worse each time... :(

Good idea on the picture! I took a picture of a weirdo splotch I had on my leg one day, but didn't end up showing it to any docs because it went away before the day was over after I put some hydrocortisone cream on it.

Better just to shove the pics in the doc's face and be like "Is this normal?" Haha

You're either allergic to one of the ingredients or you are getting an infection each time. Sounds like you need to go back to your GI and raise merry hell...

I'm about to start on Imuran (azathioprine) and I'm on Humira right now and plan to stay on it (I am now getting them weekly as opposed to every other week).
Did you doctor mention the risks associated with being on the imuran and humira? mine was concerned about the possibility of lymphoma. based on his research findings, he said that it mainly happens in people who have been on the imuran for longer than 6 months (along with the humira). so, we had a plan of stopping mine right before 6 months. of course, then i was having some other issues and got taking off of the imuran altogether. we are still debating on whether to go back on or not but at a lower dosage (I was taking 150mg a day).

Oh, and I should say "hello" I am new to the forum. So far so good on the humira.

I am aware of the risk. He doesn't want me on it for a long period of time. I recently had a partial bowel obstruction and am ready to kick this thing into remission. There are lots of studies to support using this type of combination leads to quicker remission. And I'm pretty sure the risk of developing lymphoma is slightly higher for young males than women. I'm also on a low dose of 75 mg/day.

Dreaming-yeah, my dr. told me about the higher occurrence in young males, too. i am like you, i wanted to get into remission as soon as i could. i thought the risk was worth it.

Absolutely, Belle! :) Many of the drugs have scary side effects, yeah, but you have to weight the risks with the benefit of reaching remission and having your quality of life back, you know? Plus, your doc should be getting your blood screened pretty regularly, so if anything came up it would be found out pretty fast!

It's hard not to get caught up in the scary stuff, but there are SO many people on this forum who've benefitted from that combo of drugs! :) That's what I try to tell myself when I start to feel anxious about it.

Hello started humira March 1st 2010, first 4 injections in the stomach then 2 more on the 15th also in the stomach. For me its not as bad as the crohn's pains lol
P.S. For those of you who have been on it for a while, what do I expect? Will the constant pain go away?

Hey Gary, welcome to the Humira Club! I've been on it now for 4 months, and I can't say I noticed change from one day to the next - more of a slow improvement. I was able to taper off of prednisone successfully and have been ok for the last few weeks. Some people notice a major improvement within days; my doc says it could take up to 6 months to get the full benefit. Some people here have been on it longer and might be able to offer better info. Good luck, I hope it kicks in for you!

Hi There!

I have been on Humira now for going on 3 years. When I first started taking it, I got immediate relief and felt good for a couple of months. After a while the one shot every other week wasn't cutting it, so I am now taking 1 shot every week. That helped for about a year, and now back to just being so-so. The Humira was definitely a lifesaver though after the Remicaid stopped helping!

I don't really notice any side effects from it either.

I do the shot in my legs. I have never done it int he gut before, i just don't think I can do it! I also prefer the syringe to the pen. For some reason the click that the pen makes scares the crap out of me! I ruined a couple of the pens when they were given to me by mistake!

Yeow! I just gave myself my 3rd dose. :ywow:
I am definitely feeling better after starting H, but I've been a bit constipated lately. I guess it beats the alternative- I've been so used to easy BM's.
I'm guessing I'm not the only one to experience this, how do you cope? Is this just a phase?

I've heard others say they felt more constipated after starting Humira. Make sure you are drinking lots of water. Increase the amount, even if you already drink a lot. That seems to help :)

hello folks, maybe i should have posted my other questions/statements in here as its humira specific, but looking through what other people are taling along with humira i see pred taken as well in small doses, 10 mg etc, when i was tapering off the pred and on that ammount plus the humira things couldnt have been better, 2-4 toilet trips a day and everything solid, maybe i should ask about taking a small dose again and see what happens ? as i thought humira was an "all you need" type drug
george.

George - Yes, Humira should be a 'maintenance' drug so that prednisone is not needed. How long have you been on Humira? Have you just had a flare? When I started Humira after my last flare, I was tapering off of prednisone at the same time, as Humira can take 3-6 months to reach it's full effect. I made the transition successfully; maybe it's time to talk to your doc about adding a small bit of prednisone and trying to taper again, or asking about a new drug.

heya sharon, thanks, i started it in march i think, im on the 3rd single dose now, the 4th in just over a weeks time,, thing is only pred has halted the crohns for me ive been on nearly everything else while trying to taper pred and none have had any effect, except azathioprene and mercaptopurine as both landed me in the hosp, but i will ask on next appointment about taking pred again in small doses as i was on 8 x 5 mg a day just to keep food down, but with the humira im off pred now nearly a month

george.

ameslouise

I have been on Humira for about 4 weeks. About 4 days ago I started having horrible nausea and fever/chills. Both are listed side effects from Humira. They are also listed side effects of prednisone withdrawal... Not sure which is causing it.

Anyone else get these side effects from Humira?

- Amy

Hey Amy, I also experienced fever/chills, achyness and nausea when tapering off pred. I was on Humira at the same time, too, but I don't think it was that because I've still been taking Humira and the only side effect I notice is a crazy injection site reaction. I take methotrexate which makes me nauseous and achy for the same two days every week.

Oh yeah, re: injection site reaction - I take my next shot tomorrow, so on Friday I will probably post a pic so you guys can see what I am talking about!! :p

ive ben lucky with the injection site as i cant hardly even see a mark after, and me being a total scardey cat when it comes to needles, this is the best treatment ive had other than pred,, i was on 8 x 5mg a day just to keep food down, now im off it 6 weeks or so, but going to ask to go ont maybe 2 x 5 mg to see if the pains in all my joints calm down and reduce my bog trips, the spec nurse i see always asked me if i felt any feverish signs on humira, luckilly i havent, so fingers crossed that its the pred withdrawal amelouise, i was on methotrexate for about 4-5 years,25 mg per week and didnt think it did much for me, untill it started kicking hell out of me by starting real bad gut painsits only side effect when taking it was feeling a bit tired on the day of taking it, so just being on humira and for such a short time and not throwing up food or having constant gut pains is brilliant

If you get fever and chills whilst on Humira, do you have a temperature?... I often take my temp if I'm in any way fever/chilly and once delayed the jab a day to be on the safe side - nurse said don't take it if I have a temperature but call them for advice. Sometimes get a few little sniffles after the jab but nothing to worry about.

Hi, Santos.

Welcome. It's been awhile since I've posted on this board. I started Humira about a year ago, and it's helping in terms of the bleeding. My doctors (I've moved several times because of my dad's job) were also unsure if it was Crohn's or Colitis, but the last colonoscopy that I had led my current doctor to believe that it is Crohn's.

I'm sure other people will give their advice and stories on Humira as well, but here's some tips. My personal preference is the pen as opposed to the syringe. I take it out and let it sit for 20-30 minutes before I inject it. It has a sharp sting, but doesn't last very long. I'm used to it, since I still need blood work every 2 months since I'm on 6MP.
I have been on Humira since January this year.I also prefer the pen to the syringe.But when I moved back from Wa. to Mi after my hubby got out of the ARMY My Medicare wanted to give me a problem.Finally got that cleared up and now because of everyone there's mess up I have the syringe.I was never shown how to use the syringe unlike the pen.It was just given to me by the pharmancy and I took it home to find out that what it was.The pharmancy refuses to take it back cause I already took it home.Grrr...thankfully for me my mother in law and sister in law are both nurses and my hubby also is CLS trained so they can give it to me.I don't like it though because I end up with bigger bruises then I get from the pen and I don't do with giving myself a needle I can see.LOL

just wondering, is anyone on just humira on its own and doing well, or are most on a combination, along with pred , metho, entecort etc ?

When I first started taking Humira a few years ago I didn't have to take anything with it. I felt great for the most part. Then a couple of years into it it doesn't seem to have the same effect on me and am now taking Pentasa and prednisone.

I loved how the humira made me feel for a while. I'm now taking it once a week and still having problems. There is this new stuff called Natalizumab coming out soon and will be switching to that at some point.

thanks mamzyb, yep im amazed at how i can eat properly now and not have gut pains after and not throwing up, humira has really done its job there but the joint pains allover are getting to me now, lol, hoping that the doc on the 8th will let me try a small dose of pred again to see if it helps

Hey guys, just wanted to share about my latest injection site reaction... Had to go to Urgent Care last night because the pain and itching was so intense, nothing would calm it down. I don't know, has anyone noticed that taking Benadryl before your dose helps with reaction?? I'll be talking with my doc this morning. Here's a pic of what it looks like this morning (which is already improved from last night):

As you can see, it takes up my whole lower thigh. It's much redder in real life, I guess the camera lightened it a bit. Anyways, I'm on IV antibiotics for the next 7 days... Sucks! The IV lock in my arm hurts so much, they poked around in both my arms and hands before FINALLY getting a vein, and I can feel it poking in my arm whenever I move. Yuck!:yfaint:

OMG Sharon! That is a crazy reaction! I hope you get some relief from this! I haven't had any reactions (as of yet) to the Humira.

Agreed with everyone else about never having that reaction and hoping it gets figured out by your docs. Hopefully now that you have a picture your doctor will take it more seriously.

On the issue of taking Benadryl...I was JUST talking to Amanda from the forum yesterday about this. She asked me if I had ever heard about taking Benadryl before taking Humira. I said no, and asked her if she was experiencing weird site reactions (like yours). She said no, but she used to take Remicade and developed an allergic reaction to it after 5 years. So, now on Humira, her doctor told her she could take Benadryl before her shots as a precaution. :) Hope that helps!

Took my 4th dose this past Wed, no reactions for me. Slight headache, I think it was my sinus' anyway.

Slow progress with the H closing the fistula, but hey it's only been six weeks. I'll have to learn to be patient.

Hey, Canadian H-clubbers... What are my other options if it is determined that I can not tolerate Humira? I guess there's always Remicade. Does anyone know anything about Cimzia being here soon?

Anyways, the doc at the hospital couldn't confirm if I had an allergic reaction or infection (I didn't have a fever, but the site was really hot). The antibiotics I'm getting are wreaking havoc on my guts (ceftriaxone). My next H injection will have to be under the supervision of a nurse to keep an eye on me since my reactions have been getting worse in recent weeks. I am so disappointed because I really thought Humira was helping with my symptoms... I don't want to have to discontinue it. Well, I'll ask more questions to my doctor, but in the meantime, color me bummed.

I wonder if an allergy pill would help you. I've started allegra-d due to bad allergies this season, but I noticed my injection site reactions have gotten smaller and less since I started the Allegra. Just a random thought... I know people have talked about benedryl, but it makes me so sleepy.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I was going to say the same thing that KatieSue said for MsSickandTired. Maybe a non-drowsy Claritin taken 1/2 hour before you do your next injection?

This is my first time to find this forum, definitely will find my way back here many times. I have been on humira once a week for approx 2 yrs. It has worked so wonderfully well until the past month or so. I'm having a flare up. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy next week. Has anyone on here found the effectiveness of humira to wear off?

Hi Serene! I just started Humira last Friday. So far it is helping my joint pain!!
I am also from New Brunswick. Where are you located? I am in Woodstock. Welcome to the forum. Lots of super nice people here!