• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira Effectiveness

Has anyone noticed that maybe one of your Humira shots was not as effective as others. I have instance's where I take a shot and symptoms do not seem all that great, but after following shot I am back to my normal baseline of 85%. Could something have happened to this in transit? Maybe injection site matters more then thought? I know there are many other factors involved, but every now and then I just feel like the injection didn't do it's job.

nogutsnoglory

Always keep the batch number and expiration date and the pen at the proper temperature. It's unlikely that the medication is different and just that you have ups and downs.

I agree with NoGuts,

we go through ups and downs even while on Humira. I know I do. Look at the big picture, I'm a helluvalot better now.

Cheers

kiny

It's possible that the symptomatic pain relief from TNF-alpha blockers is primaly from the decreased pain signaling in the brain.

It's never been researched in crohn's disease afaik, but that's what happen in RA patients, they get pain relief long before MRI shows any changes to bone inflammation.

People seem to forget that TNF-alpha doesn't just direct inflammation, it directs pain. You can have a very inflamed intestine but if you block certain cytokine you can stop pain signaling to the brain, even though the intestine could still be very inflamed. It's possible that this is happening in crohn's disease. Humira might be both blocking the pain signaling and inflammation.

It's certain that humira helps control the intestinal inflammation in people, but I always had my doubts that when people get quick relief after humira or infliximab, that it's related to intestinal relief, colonoscopies show it takes weeks before the intestine is fully healed when people go on TNF-alpha blockers, the immediate relief could very well be from decreased pain signaling to the brain because of decreased TNF-alpha.