• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira headaches?

Hi all, my GI switched me from Stelara to Humira because after nearly 5.5 months on Stelara, I had zero improvement in symptoms. I took my loading dose of Humira on Weds and noticed a headache within an hour. That headache went away for a couple days, but today, I had a headache for the whole day. This is rare for me, as I don’t typically get headaches unless I don’t eat. But I ate just fine today. Has anyone else had headaches on Humira? Do they eventually go away after using Humira for a while? Also, how long did it take Humira to work for you?

I had wicked headaches week one (4 shots) and week 2 (2 shots), its been Lon time since I have headaches this bad. So for none with the one injection at a time. Praying it stays that way. With the worst headache I went to the ER they gave me Reglan 10 megs and 50mgs Benedryl. It really did help so I asked my Dr for a RX of Reglan and so now I will use those the minute I feel one starting.

It might be with looking it up on line and talking to your Dr.

Good luck

Lauren

I had wicked headaches week one (4 shots) and week 2 (2 shots), its been Lon time since I have headaches this bad. So for none with the one injection at a time. Praying it stays that way. With the worst headache I went to the ER they gave me Reglan 10 megs and 50mgs Benedryl. It really did help so I asked my Dr for a RX of Reglan and so now I will use those the minute I feel one starting.

It might be with looking it up on line and talking to your Dr.

Good luck

Lauren

Thanks. I ended up taking some Tylenol last night and it helped. So far so good this morning. Hopefully that’s the end of the headache

Hi all, my GI switched me from Stelara to Humira because after nearly 5.5 months on Stelara, I had zero improvement in symptoms. I took my loading dose of Humira on Weds and noticed a headache within an hour. That headache went away for a couple days, but today, I had a headache for the whole day. This is rare for me, as I don’t typically get headaches unless I don’t eat. But I ate just fine today. Has anyone else had headaches on Humira? Do they eventually go away after using Humira for a while? Also, how long did it take Humira to work for you?
Hi I know your post was sometime ago but I’ve just started on Humira and I’m getting killer migraine like headaches did yours eventually subside? I really want this treatment to work but the migraines are affecting my quality of life as much as the Crohns is! Thanks

I was on Humira around 10 years ago and I had headaches and dizziness for about three days after every injection. My GI switched me to Methotrexate because of it.

Hi I know your post was sometime ago but I’ve just started on Humira and I’m getting killer migraine like headaches did yours eventually subside? I really want this treatment to work but the migraines are affecting my quality of life as much as the Crohns is! Thanks
I'm not the person you replied to, but I also suffered from headaches post-injection. They weren't terrible (That is, I wouldn't call them migraines), but after several months on Humira the headaches didn't stop for me. My GI switched me to Methotrexate because of the side effects I had. I can't say this will be the case for everyone; perhaps your body will adapt and give you less problems.

Wishing you the best!

I'm not the person you replied to, but I also suffered from headaches post-injection. They weren't terrible (That is, I wouldn't call them migraines), but after several months on Humira the headaches didn't stop for me. My GI switched me to Methotrexate because of the side effects I had. I can't say this will be the case for everyone; perhaps your body will adapt and give you less problems.

Wishing you the best!
Thank you for your reply, it really helps I’m due my next injection tomorrow and hoping the headache won’t return! I’ve been headache free for a week and lots more energy, if they do I will ask my consultant about an alternative. it’s such a balancing act finding the right treatment without the side effect. thanks again

I was on Humira around 10 years ago and I had headaches and dizziness for about three days after every injection. My GI switched me to Methotrexate because of it.
Thank you that’s exactly how I feel, blurred vision the works! I’m due my next injection today if another headache comes I’ll enquire about a change, thanks again

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thank you that’s exactly how I feel, blurred vision the works! I’m due my next injection today if another headache comes I’ll enquire about a change, thanks again
Before you request a change - carefully weigh the benefits - if the headache only lasts a day or two, is it worth seeing if they subside once your body gets used to the medication? Remember we don't have an endless range of medications to try, so you don't want to give up on one that might be helping in other ways before your body has time to adjust....

my little penguin

Staff member
^^^yeah that
Ds is prone to migraines .
When his body is not in remission (arthritis,crohns or auto inflammatory condition) any little added load (allergy season ,stress etc) and migraines start
Full down for the count nausea ,light sensitivity and basically can only sleep
It took years to figure this out
Did he have migraines on humira -yep
But later had them on other meds
Do you have other symptoms before the shot day ?
For ds is the meds wearing off (inflammation slightly increasing ) prior to the next shot
Not the med itself
But since the next takes 24-48 hours to dampen the other minor inflammation symptoms.
it could seem like the humira was the culprit

once we upped the frequency of the humira things got better in his case
He is now on Stelara
Had similar issues until the dose was fixed
no issues any more

see a neurologist they can prescribe headache /migraine meds /testing
To rule out other stuff
Migraines rescue meds really do stop it in its tracks
If given early enough.
Good luck 🍀

Thank you so much for your replies, it’s been a long road and I’ve tried so many medsover the years often having side effects, steroids being the only medication that really help but I know this isn’t a long term fix, as soon as I lower the dose everything flares! If I knew I could treat the migraines successfully and carry on working I’d persevere as they completely wipe me out can’t even look at light or lift my head. I’m going to try and give the meds 12weeks hopefully my body will adjust and the migraines will subside 🤞🏻

Hello, Headaches, migraines, light sensitivity, nausea, dizziness or vertigo have many causes so it's always best to keep a diary of symptoms. Do you have regular optical check ups ? Eye strain can cause a headache as can a food intolerance or just plain stress, fatigue or a virus. If it comes on suddenly like a thump on the back of the head with weakness in the limbs it could be a stroke or vascular incident and that means calling an ambulance. Dizziness or vertigo is common in Multiple Sclerosis. It is harmless and gets better after a few days. The advice is to lie down and not to bend forward. It works for me. Migraines often involve visual disturbance like a halo around the field of vision and vomiting. That's how you can tell the difference. Plenty of over the counter medications for both.
If you have double vision which doesn't go away, tell your GP as it could indicate MS.

With regards to headaches while on humira, folks in another board told me to hydrate well the day I inject. Apparently many get what they call the "humira hangover" if they don't hydrate well.

This seems to help most avoid headaches and the lethargic feeling after injecting. I personally haven't experienced any of these symptoms but I do make sure I am always well hydrate after reading so many people post about this.

With regards to headaches while on humira, folks in another board told me to hydrate well the day I inject. Apparently many get what they call the "humira hangover" if they don't hydrate well.

This seems to help most avoid headaches and the lethargic feeling after injecting. I personally haven't experienced any of these symptoms but I do make sure I am always well hydrate after reading so many people post about this.
I am going to try hydrating well for my injection day.. I'm always on the dehydrated side so maybe that can help... Thanks