• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira Help, Can I take my next dose during a flare???

Hi guys, new to the forum here.
I have recently started Humira about 2 months ago on 1 injection every two weeks. The problem I'm having is that I've had a flare up this week and although its getting better now I'm still not 100% well again. The thing is my injection was due this week but I didn't take it because I wasn't sure if I was still supposed to take it during the flareup. So my question is, does it matter whether your flaring or not when you take a dose of humira? I would call the pharmacist and ask but I'm always left on hold and its also too late to call them today.

I recently stopped taking budesonide which was keeping my flare ups at bay for the past 4 months, but I came to the end of my prescribed dose, hence this current flare.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes, if you are experiencing symptoms you should still take your does. If you are experiencing an infection, that is when you need to contact your doctor.

Yes, if you are experiencing symptoms you should still take your does. If you are experiencing an infection, that is when you need to contact your doctor.
Thats good to know thanks.
Ok, how do I know if I'm experiencing an infection?

Signs of infection would be general signs of not feeling well. Fever, chills, aches, cough. It is possible to get injection site reactions with Humira. Then it would be localized redness, swelling, heat, and possibly drainage.

The humira website recommends:
Tell your doctor if you have any signs of infection, including:

• Fever or chills
  • Warm, red, or painful skin or sores on your body
  • Muscle aches
  • Cough
  • Burning when you urinate or increased frequency of urination
  • Shortness of breath
  • Extreme fatigue
  • Weight loss