• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira? How ever its spelled

Soo Ive had Crohn's since I was 10(in 5th grade) I'm 19, Ill be 20 early April. Oh im female btw. I've done Prednisone about 100 times. And it works great! But I cant take it forever..Ive had Remicade for 6 months realising it was really only making me worse. Then I had surgery When I was 17, and they removed my ileum including 12 in of gut. Its been almost two years and its so terrible. my stools are watery every single day of my life. im just looking for something better but im scared this wont work either and ill get one of those terrible side effects they have in the commercials. my parents say i have nothing to worry about but i do....

I think you have to make the decision that you feel is best for you, regardless of what it is and how easy or hard it is to make. Research your options and talk to your Dr., this may help ease some of the fear of the terrible side effects. I would just say that sometimes the side effects may be bad, but you have to think about the positive sides in that a medication may help rather than hurt and Crohn's inflammation should be controlled, regardless of what medication you choose. There are other biologics besides Remicade and Humira that you may want to look into and there are other medications for Crohn's besides biologics that work for some. Good luck in finding something that works besides prednisone.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds was on remicade (at age 8)- allergic rxn
Moved to humira by age 9.
He has been on humira for 1.5 years .
No issues or side effects.
Other meds he had side effects ( 6-mp , injectable Mtx).
It does take months to work though (4-6 months).
Good luck

I was put on humira around 3 years ago and when I had my first loading dose of four shots, I came back home and I couldn't believe how amazing I felt! I didn't even know how absolutely awful I'd been feeling, until I felt well again. I was pretty concerned about the side effects and I absolutely hate the idea of taking medication, I'm a hippy dippy who likes natural cures and all that. So anyway, last year I decided to stop taking it because I was afraid of the side effects and within a few months my inflammation was as high as when I was first diagnosed (over 100) I was off sick from work and stuck in bed feeling ridiculously depressed (alongside all the nasty effects we all know from Crohn's). Safe to say, the amount of health issues I would have from my Crohn's being active (alongside feeling depressed and being stuck in bed when I'm only in my 20s) was far worse than taking my chances with humira. At least with humira I'm healthy for now, I'm living my life, and if any side effects do occur in the future....then I will deal with that when (or if) it comes to it.

Sorry, I've rambled on. My point is, the awful symptoms of active Crohn's disease are a good enough reason to take your chances with humira. Look after yourself, and be happy. Anything could happen to anybody in the future, so I say take the risk and live your life now.

I agree with daytripper. The likelihood that you will have any adverse side effects is insignificant. You just have to ask yourself: Wouldn't you like the opportunity to have a better quality of life? Also, If we're talking about side effects, prednisone has arguably the worst side effects of any IBD drug, especially long term. Statistically pretty much every other drug is safer. In my opinion, the risks are minimal compared to the health you could potentially enjoy.