• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira or other?

Hi everyone, currently I’m on Humira weekly, when humira stops working, are there any drugs out there that might work? I’ve already done imuran and methotrexate. I’m hearing of people switching to Stelera after humira, what is the difference in the two?

my little penguin

Staff member
My kiddo was on humira for over 5 years
He switched to Stelara in 2017 (so far 4 years )
Stelara took longer to work but less minor skin infections than humira
Better arthritis control
Crohns control seems to be the same

Lynda Lynda

I was on Humira every 2 weeks for about 2 years and then every week for a year and then it stopped working.

I should be receiving my Stelara Infusion soon.

Scipio

Hi everyone, currently I’m on Humira weekly, when humira stops working, are there any drugs out there that might work? I’ve already done imuran and methotrexate. I’m hearing of people switching to Stelera after humira, what is the difference in the two?
They might try to boost the weekly dose of Humira before switching to a different biologic. The rule of thumb is that the first biologic tried usually works the best, so GIs will battle to hang on to it as long as possible.

Stelara has been getting a lot of good press in IBD-land. It's the drug that I'm currently taking. Humira and Stelara both are human monoclonal antibodies that work to dampen the immune system. But they do it by different mechanisms. Humira blocks the action of a protein called Tumor Necrosis Factor and Stelara blocks the action of two different proteins called IL12 and IL23, although it is thought that it is the blocking of IL23 that is important in controlling Crohn's.

There is a lot of technical detail behind the action of these two drugs of course. But the general approach about switching drugs is "when your fastball is no longer working it's time to start throwing curves."

Last edited: