• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira questions, starting soon

Hello all
Hope everyone's feeling well today. My humira is going to be delivered today, I am not due to start it until Friday... Any thoughts on how this has worked for others? I am pretty upset about it, considering I had to get a flu and pneumonia shot and I am so so against the flu shot.

I just came off my 9mg of entocort this past Friday. I have been on it since I was hospitalized in early July... a little longer than I should have been. But I hate to come off it as it worked so well. I have no symptoms at all and am really hesitant to start the humira with all the negative side effects and increased cancer risks... Esp when lymphoma and skin cancer run in my family.

Just looking to see how humira worked for anyone else. I look forward to hearing from you guys!:shifty:

Katelyn

I am on Remicade which is similar to Humira (same scary side effects!)

I felt all the same way you did before starting. I hated that I get a flu shot now. I hated being fearful of germs. I hated that I started it nearly immediately after being Diagnosed.

But I will tell you, I've been on it for a year, and after each dose you slowly forget how "big and scary" it is, and you start to realize that it is worth it. Skin cancer runs in my family as well. I just now do yearly check ups with a derm. Lymphoma is scary to me too. But I've learned the risks of our disease going untreated (or not treated properly) is more than us having the chance for skin or lymphoma cancer.

Now, I know we aren't on the same med, but they both lower the immune system drastically. I have a Remicade nurse I'm in contact with between doses if I'm
Not feeling well or if I'm catching a cold or something, I'm
Able to call her. I hope you can find a support like that. She's great when she's answering my questions or dealing with my worries I have of this drug

I hope Humira brings you relief!

I meant to tell you that I also started to drug when I had no symptoms present. And that seemed so silly to me but my doctors and nurses explained that they want to treat the disease not just the symptoms! The goal
Is to eliminate all (or most!) symptoms so we have full life Again

Asher, thanks. Its funny you say that as I just got off the phone with a nurse from Humira lol. Everything you are saying makes sense I am just stubborn and frustrated with all this. Hopefully all goes well. Glad to hear the remicade is working for you - hope this works for me!

I have been on Humira (twice monthly) since September 2014, but am getting ready to start weekly injections. I haven't had any bad side effects, but the doctor doesn't seem to think it's working as well as he hoped. I do know that I have had more stamina since starting Humira. Before then, I stayed tired all the time. I hope it works well for you. Keep everyone posted!

I have horrible side effects from humira but NO ONE gets the type of side effects I get on meds so no worries. For me it literally put my crohns in remission within about 3 days. All pain and inflammation gone. I'm sure you will do very well on Humira and the cancer stuff and all that might be a bit exaggerated(at least that was what I was told by my gastro and he's very in the loop on meds etc. he is a very good guy and the head of gastro at a really good hospital so I trust him). Have to say all my posts are of course just based on my own personal experiences.