• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira shot

Hello; my name is Terry I have had crohn's disease since 1989 I am 47 years old male in the past have had three major surgeries large and small intestine blockage had half removed and colon resection in 1989,in 1992 had another blockage surgery and in 2004 more than half of small bowel taken out. I am new to humira drug and at this point with it have not seen much of a change with my crohn's
I am on 40 m.g. crohn's shots pen form when and if will I start seeing a change for the better so far as not worked that much for me please respond and help me and what are all the side affects.

Hi Terry, I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1979 and had a single resection in 2008. I had a flare begin in late October 2015 and after tests, prep and so forth went on Humira last month. I assume you had the loading dose (4 pens) and subsequent dose two weeks later (2 pens)? I have had a third, normal one pen dose. Can't say how things will work for you, because everyone is different. But I began to notice significant improvement at about two weeks. I have seen others who saw no improvement until about a month in. At this point, for me, I have been surprised with the lack of side effects (except for a sinus infection that I understand is fairly common due to lowered immunity and which had to be treated with antibiotics) and also surprised with improvements I hadn't even thought to expect (reduced urgent diarrhea which has been a feature of my life for so long its like the wallpaper in my life...I already accommodate it and didn't really expect it to improve). I hope you begin to see a good response soon.

Hi. I started Humira about three weeks ago. I esd told by one person it takes two months ago. Someone said six weeks. I guess we are all different. I hope you are better soon.

Tony H

Hi Terry , welcome to the forum , I started Humira about 10 months ago and I noticed improvement at about 2 or 3 weeks , I had no side effects apart from a little reaction at the injection site once or twice, it had really improved my quality of life so much so that I cant remember the last time that I had to sprint to the toilet , best of luck with the humira.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds has been on humira for 4 years no real issues
He is 12
It doesn't make you catch any more colds
Only makes you more susceptible to opportunistic infections
So if you get the flu complications like pneumonia need to be watched for
Which is why the docs recommend the flu shot
Takes 3-5 months to become effective

Good luck