• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira side effects

Hi. I started having humira injections last month and I am considering stopping them. I am so tired all the time I am barely functioning with work and my life is on hold. I recently have come down with a horrible cold I can't get rid of. Fever on and off. Reoccurring headaches. I dont know if this is the humira but I do know I've never felt so rotten. I feel the crohns itself is easier to put up with. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I also started Humira last month and although I suffer from fatigue it's not as bad as it was on MTX. Combined with much improved bowels I feel much better than before Humira. I don't really have any other side effects like you mention.

Have your bowels improved at all? I know it can take up to 3 months to kick in and I've also heard the fatigue can become less in time. I'm crossing my fingers that's the case!

If I were you I'd try to stick it out at least 3 months to be sure, good luck!

My bowels have improved. I still do have abdomen pain though. I know it hasn't been long. I am so afraid of this humira. It may be anxiety of the side effects. I read wonderful and horrible things about it. Thank you for your response.

I think you should talk to your doctor about what you are experiencing at the moment and they can make sure that there is nothing else going on. Fever can be caused by a Crohn's flare but it could also be a sign that there is something else happening. It's usually not a symptom of a cold.

And your doctor should be best placed to help you decide whether it's worth continuing with Humira in your individual case. They may suggest stopping temporarily to see if the symptoms go away or with reassurance from your doctor you might be happy to give it a bit longer. Or they might have a different medication that they would move you to.

But I would definitely discuss everything that you are experiencing and how much it is affecting you. I think it's important for your doctor to be aware of that and hopefully you have a doctor who listens to their patient's experience because with a chronic illness like this that's really important.

Thank you. Yes I plan on speaking with my Dr. Hopefully they will listen. I have had Alot of added stress in my life so its hard to tell what is playing a role where.

Maybe it would help to request some blood work to be done to see if you are seeing a decrease in inflammation and other markers. Sometimes if you see this it can help you push through for a few more months on the med.

It is also a flu season right now still, so maybe there is a chance that you are fighting a virus? I know I was freaking out a few weeks ago because my daughter who is on Humira started to complain of headaches - I thought for sure it was Humira - it ended up being a virus. Also when she had the headaches, her bowel symptoms also returned for a few days.

It's hard not to worry. I hope your doctor can give you some objective measure to look at to see if the drug is working or not before you stop.