• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira to Stelara

Lynda Lynda

When transitioning from Humira to Stelara, what is the normal procedure ?

Does a person give themselves their weekly Humira Injection, then the next week get their Stelara infusion ?

My prescription says :
Stelara 130mg/26mL solution.
Infuse 3 vials due to patient weight of >55kg to 85kg.
( Is 3 vials the same as 3 syringes ? )

My prescription says :
Stelara 90mg/mL syringe, inject 1 subcutaneously every 8 weeks.

I am still taking the Humira weekly until I can find patient assistance funding for the Stelara.

Lynda

Lynda,

Your gi docs will help you manage the switchover.
The front loading initial dose of stelera is done in clinic, and then you will do home injection as per the docs schedule.
The gi clinic will give you guidance on the correct protocol on timing.

My wife and I had a travelling nurse do the first the first home injection, as we had significant anxiety over the proccess
... turns out my wife can do a least as good a job as they can :)

Changing the course of treatment was a bit ... daunting ... and like you, I had billions of questions,
...so I reached out to the manufacturer for more information
The Jannsen group was awesome!
I strongly recommend you contact them stelera specific questions, they have some really good nurses available thru their phone system

The cost of this medication is staggering
I just about had a heart attack when I heard my copay was going to be!

I contacted Jannsen directly, and they worked some magic with my insurance company, and then covered much of the remainder, leaving me with a very manageable copay. I hope they can do the same for you!

I hope everything works out for you and you get the relief that I have on this medication!

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds was on humira every 5 days when he switched
To Stelara
It was just whatever date they could get or Stelara infusion (done in clinic ) that was at least 7 days out
May have been two weeks out since that is the normal time frame of humira
He got the infusion dose
Then Stelara dose 8 weeks after the infusion dose by prefilled syringe at home

Lynda Lynda

I sent a Patient Portal message to my GI today. I was asking him if I should continue injecting Humira ( my Stelara Infusion date has not been set up yet ) and he said that I could stop injecting the Humira starting tomorrow.

How did the transition from Humira to Stelara work for you guys ?

my little penguin

Staff member
My kiddo took the last dose probably two weeks before the Stelara infusion (even though he had been on humira every 5 days at that point )
It was doing nothing
He got solumedrol by iv and Stelara at the same time since his joints were so inflamed

Lynda Lynda

I have not given myself a Humira Injection for 11 days now, my GI said to stop taking it.
I have been very nauseous the past 2 days. Could this nausea be from not taking the Humira ?
I have not had the Stelara infusion yet.

my little penguin

Staff member
When is your Stelara infusion scheduled for ??
Were you on humira every 7 days ???
You could expect symptoms-especially of you were flaring while still at every 7 days …
What those symptoms can be … that would vary from person to person …

good luck with the infusion

my kiddo was an inflamed mess at the infusion so much so they added iv solumedrol.
Which helped but wore off after two days ☹

Lynda Lynda

I sent a message through my GI patient portal and they said I might get my infusion on October 21st.

MLP : Sorry to hear your kiddos solumedrol IV wore off so quickly 😢.
I had to have solumedrol IV at home for 3 days in 2001 for optic neuritis in my left eye. I had a PICC line in my arm, the solumedrol bags in my fridge and an IV pole on wheels.

Last edited:

Lynda Lynda

Well now I have 10 Humira Pens in my refrigerator that I got for free and I cannot give them to anyone who really needs them because it is illegal to sell or give them to another person.
That frustrates me.