• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira trough test

Hi,

I am waiting on a adalimumab trough test to determine the recent cause of abscesses reforming and blocked fistula tracts. The thought is it is either occurred due to scar tissue, or low Adalimumab levels due to antibodies or low dose.

One of the suggestions by the GI has been going to weekly Humira (I have done this previously with some success), but obviously only if I don't have antibodies.

I am wondering if anyone knows how the trough level works, is there a suitable range (suitable minimum and maximum level), or is there just a minimum that it should be over for therapeutic dose.

If I haven't got antibodies, I would like to push for weekly dose, so it would be great to know before going to the GI what the reading should be or how it works. I also find my GI is a lot more open to discussion when he knows I have done my homework.

Any shared experience greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cameron

Ronroush7 by homework, the poster means when he has researched his meds and can have an informative conversation with his GI about his treatment

Ihatefistulas I'm going to tag my little penguin and maya142 as well as jmrogers4, one of them may know the trough levels or can point you to some studies. Also, I'll tag Scipio as they may can give you some pertinent information as well.

Scipio

Hard cut-offs have not been established. And the target trough levels may depend on how you are measuring disease activity. If you are looking to lower CRP then the target trough levels you see in publications for adalimumab as measured by the Anser-ADA assay is 5 to 8 ug/ml. If you are looking to achieve mucosal healing (per colonoscopy) then the target trough level I've seen published is 12 or higher.

If the drug is being measured by a different assay then I don't know the target levels. Might be the same; might be different. The calibration of different tests are not always aligned.