• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira unrefrigerated

Good Evening.

I'm currently taking Humira 40mg for Crohn's Disease, Ankylosing Spondylitis and RA. My roommate unplugged the fridge last night to turn on the microwave and forgot to plug the fridge back in. The shot has been left at room temperature for the last 24 hours. I'm due for my injection tonight. I do flare easily if I'm not on time with my injections.

Is it safe to take my injection tonight?

Thank you,

Salvatore Barcia
Crohn's Disease Patient
Staten Island, New York

I actually asked this question to my pharmacist a while ago due to power outages and they said that Humira can be left out for up to 24 hours at room temperature. However, i've just done a search on the internet and I am getting people claiming times all over the place, just read one where they left it out for 2 weeks.

In your case, when the fridge was unpluged, it's not like it cooled down in an hour, the fridge probaly took a good 6 hours to defrost if left closed. I would say (Just my opinion) that the Humira should still be fine to use.

Hey Sal how do you go with humira I have ankylosing spodilitis and crohn's aswell and I'm in a shitload of pain from both I just applied for humira here the government subsidies it and I pay like 6 bucks a week for it but they don't know if to put me under crohns or AS so been stuffed around right now but just wanted to know how you go on it

Hey Sal how do you go with humira I have ankylosing spodilitis and crohn's aswell and I'm in a shitload of pain from both I just applied for humira here the government subsidies it and I pay like 6 bucks a week for it but they don't know if to put me under crohns or AS so been stuffed around right now but just wanted to know how you go on it
Hello,

The AS nearly paralyzed me. I was hospitalized for 5 months straight after being permantly wheel chair bound. As far as how I did it, I'm not sure. I was 18 years old when I started taking Humira and my mom handled the insurance. Sorry if I didn't help

All the best

What I meant was how did you go in terms of it's effectiveness and side effects and how has it been in the long run for you

I've left my Humira out for 24 hours before and when I called Progress they said to not use it. I had to get more from the pharmacy. If you do use it I doubt it will hurt you. It just may not be as effective.

Well I'm still around after talking the injection :) Thanks to for the help!

What I meant was how did you go in terms of it's effectiveness and side effects and how has it been in the long run for you
Sorry for miss understanding you, I just got a little confused.

As far as it's effectiveness, I began feeling relief within a few days! Stiff necks, which was a horror for me, went away within a weeks time. The it took a few weeks for everything else to get back to normal. Not sure what you mean by side effects. These strong medications all have long term side effects, but I didn't experience any reactions from the drug. This month marks one year since I'm on Humira, and like I said above, it's done the job very well. Unfortanetly, my joints ,spondylitis and Crohns have started to act up again and the docs think it's time for a medicine change which upsets me after such great progress. Just everybody's different. Some people can stay on a medication with it being effect for a very long time and others can't.

Good :) ill admit. I injected one the other night that was out for at least 7 hours :/ as awful as it is I'm really bad with forgetting about these things once I take it out of the fridge. I think I've had t garbage 6 of them...

For those wondering how long they can keep Humira out of the fridge, AbbVie (Humira producers) state the following in the pen instructions (on the last page of the patient instructions pdf on their website -- humira dot com):

"If needed, for example when you are traveling, you may also store HUMIRA at room temperature up to 77°F (25°C) for up to 14 days. Store HUMIRA in the original carton until use to protect it from light."

Hope this helps.