• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira- weekly instead of fortnightly??

Iv read on here that some of you have humira shots every week. At first, humira slowed my diarrhoea a lot- from 20+ a day to average 6. Lately it's been a lot more, and especially the second week, before my next injection is due. Is that just something that happens to all of you, or is that reason enough to go weekly do you think? Pain is ok for the most part, and otherwise there are no other major sympt, expect dehydration when I'm going 20 times a day, so I don't know wether I should ask my gp. I'll see my gi in a few months, and go see my gp bi weekly for the needle. Because its so expensive, I don't know if diarrhoea is enough symptoms to be asking for weekly injections. What do you all think? Is it just normal for all of you to feel that way in the second week before injection?

PsychoJane

Well, it is definitively something to consider and ponder about. The problem with humira (and other anti-tnf) is that some of us will quickly built antibodies to it. I would there to say that when this happens, it is a problem because it usually won't stop and then you can experiment other side effects than just the lack of effectiveness from your therapy.

This is why I would highly suggest to chat with your GP if he is quite familiar with Humira (not my will to be talking against GP here but some of them have clearly admitted to me that Humira was not a medication they really knew) or with your GI about it.

I don't recall the exact test that needs to be done but there are some levels that can be seen via blood tests that will testify if this is what is happening ( adalimumab and "anti-adalimumab" levels in your serum).

When this is the case, then they can consider upping to every week injections but keep in mind that this alternative is pretty much just a buffer as the body won't just stop building antibodies all of a sudden. Usually, to slow the process they will be likely to suggest you to take an immunosuppressant concomitantly.

Sorry if I brought up all these informations but I think they worth being considered early.

I was having trouble with fistula not healing completely or opening while on Humira every two weeks. We adjusted to every ten days and it did the trick. It does not have to be every week. It's a matter of finding the best timing.