• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira while pregnant and post-partum

Hello everyone. I wanted to post something to give hope to those trying to conceive and taking Humira.
First, let me give you a brief history. I was diagnosed in July 2007. I married in June 2009 and my husband and I waited close to two years before we started trying, and by trying, I mean I stopped taking birth control. I started on Humira in February of 2013 and was in remission following a good two year battle with flare ups and prednisone use.
In August of 2013, we found out we were expecting our first child. Obviously thrilled beyond belief, but it was advised that I see a paranatologist, or high-risk pregnancy doctor because of my condition. Until the start of my third trimester, everyone said I would be fine taking the Humira throughout. My GI suggested that I discontinue until after my son is born, so we did. I felt great through the remainder of the pregnancy and even immediately after my emergency c-section. I waited a week and started on the Humira again.
I just wanted to give some hope to those out there trying to conceive or taking Humira that is concerned about its affects on the mother or the baby. My son is seven weeks old and doing fantastic. He was 7lbs, 2oz at birth and at his last appointment was 9lbs, 9oz.
I have not had any symptoms of my disease.

Please let me know if anyone has any specific questions about my situation. I would be more than happy to discuss in more detail.