• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira Working

Good News,
It's working, in my 5th week, Humira and Imuran have solidified and somewhat regulated my caboose' s output. I'm still feeling exhausted due to 3 nightly bathroom visits, down from 4 and daytime down to 3 or 4 down from 5 to 8.

I am cautiously optimistic, since the last three times I was on this road, I got knocked off. I am feeling like every day I'm getting better and will soon be on the road to exercising and getting back to an active life and becoming the healthiest I've ever been.

Michael

Lynda Lynda

Michael, glad to hear you're feeling better. 🙂
So you are taking Humira AND Imuran ?
I dont know what my prescription says yet, like how many injections per week. I am getting Humira.

my little penguin

Staff member
Lynda Lynda
Humira has fixed dosing
It’s 40 mg by syringe /pen
Every 14 days
If after 3-5 months that doesn’t work
They add immunosuppressants (mtx or imuran)
Some start that in the beginning

Then it’s every 10 days or every 7 days
Highest dose is every 5 days

Ds was on humira for over 5 years

Linda,
I was put on Imuram while I was waiting for my Humira to start.

My GI doc said they often do the combo therapy. I am now tapering off Prednisone, which I’m thrilled about ending all the side effects.

I’m slowly but surely improving. I did stay up too late last night finishing my 16th book in the last 4 weeks.

Reading has improved my mood, waking up my sleeping mind. I’ve read 11 of John Connolly’s Charlie Parker series,

I hope you get Humira started soon and feel better. It took me a few weeks to notice and at first it wiped me out a little as I got used to it. Many people in my support group use and like it.

Michael, glad to hear you're feeling better. 🙂
So you are taking Humira AND Imuran ?
I dont know what my prescription says yet, like how many injections per week. I am getting Humira.

Lynda Lynda

Lynda Lynda
Humira has fixed dosing
It’s 40 mg by syringe /pen
Every 14 days
If after 3-5 months that doesn’t work
They add immunosuppressants (mtx or imuran)
Some start that in the beginning

Then it’s every 10 days or every 7 days
Highest dose is every 5 days

Ds was on humira for over 5 years
Thanks. 🙂

Lynda Lynda

Linda,
I was put on Imuram while I was waiting for my Humira to start.

My GI doc said they often do the combo therapy. I am now tapering off Prednisone, which I’m thrilled about ending all the side effects.

I’m slowly but surely improving. I did stay up too late last night finishing my 16th book in the last 4 weeks.

Reading has improved my mood, waking up my sleeping mind. I’ve read 11 of John Connolly’s Charlie Parker series,

I hope you get Humira started soon and feel better. It took me a few weeks to notice and at first it wiped me out a little as I got used to it. Many people in my support group use and like it.
Thanks 🙂
Glad to hear about your reading. This 6mp pill makes me feel wierd in my head and tired, but I will get used to that. I did not get prescribed prednisone, thank God. I took prednisone for 2 weeks in 2001 for optic neuritis and gained 4 pounds and was starving all the time.
🌻

Lynda Lynda

My 6mp brain fog is gone.

I had my first loading dose of Humira on Monday. I have the pens. I did one in each thigh and two in my abdomen. My Humira Nurse Ambassador was with me here at my apartment. The pen injection was tolerable and no immediate side effects.

My Nurse brought me a sharps container. She is helping me with everything. She showed me where to inject and what my injection schedule is. She provided me with a little calendar and stickers.....and a booklet to track the dates and where I injected.

I have a 90 day supply of pens......I have 4 loading dose pens, then in two weeks I do 2 injections, then from then on I do one injection every two weeks. A follow up with the Family Nurse Practioner ( who works at my Gastroenterologists office ) on June 9.

My first two blood draws were 2 weeks apart. Now I will go one month and get my third blood draw.

🐝

Lynda Lynda

My sister just started Orencia injection pens for her RA. And my niece has already started Humira injection pens for her RA.
So I guess the 3 of us are ALL drugged up now 😄.
Yikes.

Great to hear you all seem to be on the right track. Humari is working for me and many others in my support group.

Lynda Lynda

I started 6mp a month ago and Humira this Monday.
Am I allowed to take antibiotics ?

I see my dental hygienist this Wednesday.
My front, bottom gums are inflamed and sore and throbbing and bleed when I floss.
My oral health is not as good as it should be right now.
If my dentist wants to prescribe me an antibiotic, can I take it ?

Last year my dental assistant actually sent a sample of my mouth bacteria to the lab and one of the bacteria types came back high. I told her that I cannot take antibiotics, so she devised an alternate treatment plan to help my gums get better. ( A rigid dental cleaning schedule that I strictly adhered to for three weeks at home. )

I have been panicking about EVERYTHING lately.
I panic about my dental cleanings because I am not taking care of my teeth and gums the way I should be.
And I panic about the cost of my dental cleanings too.
I have been going to the same dental office for almost 40 years. Great dentists and exceptionally good work there.

I am going to call my Gastroenterologists office on Monday morning to leave a message for my doctor to ask him if I can take antibiotics and if I can, what kind.

My front bottom gums are so red right now and throbbing, I've never seen them like this. They hurt.

Lynda

Lynda Lynda

My panic about my teeth and gums was for nothing, of course, as usual.

Does it really take Humira 3-6 months to work ?

Take Care.

Last edited: