• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira

Humira/Remicade

I've been in the hospital since Friday with a severe Crohn's flare up and major blockage due to all of the inflammation. I'd like to try Humira to see if that helps me because I haven't responded to other treatments. Or will my GI most likely try Remicade first?

How fast after your first Humira injection did you start to feel better? Am I able to do Humira while I am still on 40mg of Prednisone? Thanks. :banana:

Last edited:
If you read this thread you'll find most, if not all the answers you'll need about Humira: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6500

There is a corresponding Remicade club thread too if you use the search option.

That said... Your GI will probably decide on the merits, or otherwise of your case. Some GI's have preference for Remicade as it's been in Crohn's use for longer and therefore very well known. Others, like mine in the UK asked which one I wanted to try. And as for time to feel better, I noticed I felt different after about 4 days. But of course, YMMV.

If you read this thread you'll find most, if not all the answers you'll need about Humira:

There is a corresponding Remicade club thread too if you use the search option.

That said... Your GI will probably decide on the merits, or otherwise of your case. Some GI's have preference for Remicade as it's been in Crohn's use for longer and therefore very well known. Others, like mine in the UK asked which one I wanted to try. And as for time to feel better, I noticed I felt different after about 4 days. But of course, YMMV.
Thanks so much for the reply and the link-- I'm still learning my way around! =D

Also ask your doctor about Cimzia. It's a newer biologic, very similar to Humira. But it's a monthly injection instead of every two weeks. It has been a lifesaver for me!

The worst thing about cimzia was the nurse having to give the shots. I am about to switch from remicaide to humira. I hope it works out that you get to pick your treatment. My gi lays out 3 or 4 options and explains all of them and lets me pick which one I want to try.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
The decision might be up to your insurance. Some insurance companies will want you to try one before the other.
Also, it is fine to still be on pred while starting Remi or Humira. (Can't speak for Cimzia.)
I noticed an improvement on day 6 after my original Humira injections, but I was only in remission for a short time. I'm now in remission on Remicade for almost 2 years.
I hope you get an answer soon and start feeling better!
MBH

The worst thing about cimzia was the nurse having to give the shots. .
I had a nurse come out to my house to teach me how to do the injections for the first time. From then on, the injections are done by the patient. No nurse needed whatsoever. I had read that when Cimzia first came out, a nurse was needed to mix the drug. There is no mixing anymore (prefilled syringes), and is easy as can be.

And yes, you can take Pred while on Cimzia. I was on Pred when I started Cimzia and tapered from it as soon it started working. I have been in remission since I started the injections.

Last edited:
I also took prednisone while on Humira. Humira did not help me initially. Ended up having surgery. Just started Humira again. Loading dose is hard due to 4 injections first day. Hopefully you start to feel better! I haven't had much luck with Humira yet, but hoping it kicks in soon. It sounds like Humira does great things for lots of people! Good luck.

Welcome NicoleKS,
I am on Humira and have been for about 2 years. I still have lots of bad days, but no surgery. The Humira has worked as far as making me better than I was. I told my GI I wanted the Humira so I didn't have to go in for the infusion. I work full time and didn't want to take anymore time off than I had to. My injections are weekly. They started out every other week but that did not help at all. I recently found out I also have crohns in the colon and am having some pain. Good luck and I hope the new meds help.

yeah i took the cimzia shortly after it came out. It gave me flu-like side effects and didnt help alot. I too am going to humira next starting next month

I just started Humira injections in July and will be doing my 8th injection tomorrow. I found that the insurance would not approve me for Cimizia being that it is a high dollar med, but approved me for the Humira......which is STILL costing my insurance $1700 for two injections! That is pretty pricey to me, so not sure how much more the Cimizia costs.
I will say that I have noticed that my abdominal pain has decreased considerably as well as the diarrhea. So I am praying that my symptoms will continue to improve and my crohns will be put into remission......I've only had that happen once and that was in 98! I have tried just about every med without any lasting relief!
My Dr. has me on Pentasa, 6MP and the Humira injections.....just stopped Prednisone after being on it for 18 months.

My GI showed me how to do the injections and I find it easier to do them in my abdomen. Ice packs are your friend! LOL I numb the area for about 5-10 min. and I take the injection pen out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for about 15 min. before injecting. I find that there is less burning when med is injected. It gets easier each time.....if there is such a thing when it comes to poking yourself with a needle! LOL

Wishing you well and praying you will find a drug that will bring you relief.

I just started Humira injections in July and will be doing my 8th injection tomorrow. I found that the insurance would not approve me for Cimizia being that it is a high dollar med, but approved me for the Humira......which is STILL costing my insurance $1700 for two injections! That is pretty pricey to me, so not sure how much more the Cimizia costs.
My insurance pays $1600 a month for my Cimzia injections. I get a copy of the bill every month with the Cimzia.

My insurance pays $1600 a month for my Cimzia injections. I get a copy of the bill every month with the Cimzia.
My insurance denied the Cimzia saying that I had to try Humira first and if it didn't work then my Dr. could submit for the Cimzia......if one doesn't work why would the other? The games they play!

I had the loading doses of Humira one week prior to emergency surgery due to a perforated terminal ilieum. I had 80 cms of intestine removed. I am still recovering from the op and trying to gain back some strength and weight which I am finding almost impossible. My GI has recommended that I continue with Humira once I have gained some strength back. My question is, since all infected areas of intestine were removed and technically I am disease (and pain) free, why do I need to continue with Humira?

Is Cimzia available in Canada?

Good question cycrohnn'sguy, maybe they want you to take it as maintenance, crohn's is a life long disease and can appear elsewhere from mouth to anus and can attack any healthy tissue after surgery as well.

Hey Sharon :) Yes please if any of you Canadian's out there know when it might become available, let us know. Be awesome to have more options.

P.S. Sharon, can you please bake me some cheese cake? I'll come pick it up LOL.

Sorry, have a craving and your chefs hat got me thinking ;)

Nicole, it took about 2-3 months for me to feel the results from the humira.
Well I haven't had any D at all since I was released from the hospital with a partial bowel obstruction (two weeks ago!) but I don't know if it's the 6 MP or Humira or a combination of both-- I started the 6 MP first so who knows?! =D

I had the loading doses of Humira one week prior to emergency surgery due to a perforated terminal ilieum. I had 80 cms of intestine removed. I am still recovering from the op and trying to gain back some strength and weight which I am finding almost impossible. My GI has recommended that I continue with Humira once I have gained some strength back. My question is, since all infected areas of intestine were removed and technically I am disease (and pain) free, why do I need to continue with Humira?
Even with surgery, it's very likely the Crohn's will come back in a new spot. =(