• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira

Is it possible to reach full remission on just humira? Been on it for 3 months - it has helped reduce some symptoms but full remission has not been reached yet. Appreciaee any help

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi

Yes, humira is one of the most powerful medications used to treat crohns disease and can bring on and maintain full remission in many people.

It can take a while for it to work as it has to build up in your body, but the fact that it is reducing symptoms is a good sign that it is already having some impact on the inflammation in your digestive tract.

The amount of time taken to achieve remission will depend upon a number of things including the dose of medication you are on and how severe your condition was when you started treatment.

How are your bloods looking?

The dose is 40mg every other week. The reason for asking is because remission is needed to help promote growth. There has been no reason for concern within the blood tests.

I have been on Remicade for 3 years and have to be treated with IV Benadryl and Zofran for reactions to it. My MD has decided to switch me to Humira. I'm a little scared what if I have a reaction this as well. At least with Remicade I was in the hospital receiving the infusion and was able to be treated immediately. Help!!!

my little penguin

Staff member
Dis had two reactions to remicade before he was switched humira.
Not reactions.
DS is a very allergic kid ( reacts to everything animals pollens drugs etc).
Remicade has a murine protein ( mouse ) so the body is more likely to react .
Humira is fully humanized so the reaction rate is less than 1% which is typical of all drugs.
DS has taken it for over a year no issues.
Good luck