• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira

Hello all. I'm brand new to the site. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in September 1999.
In October 99 I was diagnosed with non Hodgkin lymphoma. I successfully underwent chemotherapy and was in remission in May 2000.

In June 2002 I underwent a bowel resection for my Crohn's and have been very well since.
Last Monday I went for a colonoscopy and the doctor told me my Crohn's is active even though I feel 100%.
He is keen for me to start humira in the near future but obviously I'm not so keen with the past history of lymphoma already and the risks involved with it.

My question is has any member previously had non Hodgkin lymphoma ever gone on humira and the bigger question is how did the fare out on the drug?

Many thanks
Paul

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello there

The risk of developing lymphoma with the use of humira is very, very small. Of course there is the added risk that you have already had this in the past but as far as I am aware the risk would still be minimal. Have you discussed these concerns with your doctor?

I don't have experience of this in order to be of more help, but if you have a look through the treatment section and the humira sub section you might find some useful information there. You could also make a post in there about this topic as that is where those with the relevant experience are more likely to see it and be able to answer.

Good luck. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask and we will do our utmost to help.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will post in the relevant section and hopefully get more information. My GI says he has put patients who previously had lymphoma on humira and they've had no problems so far.
I've a meeting with them on the 27th of this month to go through all the options. Worst thing is that I'm feeling great so want to be on as little medication as possible.
Thanks for the replies

I think last studies says that lymphoma risk with anti-TNF is more related to Imuran (azathioprine) !? I am wrong ?

I'm not sure matrix . TNFs are all new to me but my GI said all the latest research says the lymphoma risk with humira isn't as big as they thought a few years ago.
I just don't want to risk becoming a stat who did get it!!!

If it can makes you feel a little bit better :

This population-based cohort study of more than 56 000 patients with IBD found no increased risk of cancer associated with TNF-α antagonist exposure. Although a small increase in the risk of overall cancer may be observed in patients exposed to TNF-α antagonists, this increase in risk might be attributable to concomitant use of azathioprine. An increased risk of malignancy in the long term or with increasing number of cumulative doses of TNF-α antagonists cannot be excluded, and continuous follow-up of exposed patients is needed.
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1881309

http://consumer.healthday.com/cance...r-from-crohn-s-colitis-meds-study-688944.html

Interesting article.
My issue though is am I more prone to lymphoma seeing as that I already had it. My haematologist says I've as little chance as everybody else getting it but I'm sure my chances of getting it increase greatly if I go on humira.

I hope this post made sense