• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hummus seems to reduce Crohn's symptoms

M

manatee

I've noticed on more than one occasion that after eating Hummus with pita bread, it seems to help reduce the amount of trips to the bathroom.

Has anyone ever tried this before? I need to test more, but think I might be onto something.

Info on hummus for those curious. Would love for other people to try this and see what they think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus

i absolutely adore hummus :) and it has certainly never upset my tum or caused any problems.. i wonder if the chick peas act like a bulking agent & soothe/slow things down?

however, pitta bread sometimes gives me indigestion - when served warm it is like fresh bread.

M

manatee

dingbat said:
i absolutely adore hummus :) and it has certainly never upset my tum or caused any problems.. i wonder if the chick peas act like a bulking agent & soothe/slow things down?

however, pitta bread sometimes gives me indigestion - when served warm it is like fresh bread.
I was wondering about the chick peas myself. I think this is worth some experimenting.

Going to go out and buy some hummus right now. Maybe try it without pita bread.

ALSO... I just remembered. I ate carrots and hummus one day and it seemed to help. So, this could be further evidence to the benefits of the chick peas. Maybe.

Manatee, if you're talking about raw carrotts, be careful - raw hard veggies like that can really hurt ;)

if you're looking for something to dip in the hummus, maybe try breadsticks, or doritos (unless you know you're ok with the carrotts)

btw - i often make a baked potato, scoop out the middle when cooked, and mix hummus in, then put it back in the potato & bake for another few mins. lovely :)

Hummus is a traditional dish in my country. We eat it a lot. I seem to tolerate it, but if I eat too much it makes me gassy.....

katiesue1506 said:
Is hummus that white sludgy lookin stuff? Sorry... I'm not very cultured when it comes to food.
Yes it is, made from mashed chickpeas, yum. My three year old eats it all the time.