• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Husband taking Mercaptopurine, is it safe for us to conceive?

My huband has Crohns and takes Mercaptopurine and Pentasa daily, which has proven very succesful in managing the disease over the last 2 years.

We would like to start a family and are unsure whether Mercaptopurine is safe to take while trying to conceive? A quick internet search looks as though it isn't, but he only takes a low dose of 25mg per day.

Has anyone any similar experiences to share? I'd be grateful for any advice while we are waiting to see his doctor. Thanks!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Yessa and :welcome:

Also controversial is the use of azathioprine or 6-MP by the male partner in couples planning a pregnancy. Here, too, extensive experience from transplantation medicine and in patients with rheumatic disorders and inflammatory bowel diseases who were treated with azathioprine or 6-MP prior to or during the period of conception does not reveal any increased risk for pregnancy complications or birth defects. As with women, however, there are also individual case reports in the scientific literature that suggest possible negative effects on pregnancy secondary to azathioprine or 6-MP. Here, too, data is based on a very small number of cases, which precludes statistical evaluation. European and American pharmaceutical regulatory agencies do not cur- rently recommend that males being treated with azathioprine or 6-MP should discontinue therapy prior to a planned conception. Patients desiring maximum safety, however, can be advised to dis- continue azathioprine three months prior to a planned conception. In the intervening period, males will produce sperm whose genetic material is not damaged by azathioprine.

Over the past years, we have followed a large number of women and men who have been treated with azathioprine before and during conception and pregnancy. There have been no reported instances of birth defects or pregnancy complications that could be associated with this therapy.

http://www.drfalkpharma.de/uploads/tx_tocfpshoperw/S82e_12-1-09.pdf
I know there are males on the forum that have successfully conceived and their wives had a normal pregnancy/baby whilst on 6MP/Imuran. A couple of members that immediately spring to mind are Jmrogers (husband has Crohn’s) and hawkeye, he is on Imuran and had a baby about 2 years ago now. Also there are women taking the drug that have had normal pregnancy outcomes.

Have a look at this sub forum:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Dusty. xxx

Thanks DustyKat for your very helpful reply and links to the subforum.

I am very much hoping that the doc will agree it's safe for my husband to stay on Mercap as it really has made a staggering difference to his health.

I have found myself worrying about having to put my husbands health at risk to try and conceive, I would feel awful despite knowing that my husband would do anything at all suggested if it meant better chance of a healthy family!

Thanks once again.

hawkeye

Staff member
Hi Yessa, I was at a higher dose than 25mg per day (I think it was 50 or 75mg/day) and we had no issues.