• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Husband wants to gain weight

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and have a few questions.

My husband was diagnosed with Crohn's when he was 9, had a colectomy at 18 (not long after we started dating), and after a very unsuccessful attempt at reconnection, now has a double-barrel ileostomy.

He's 37, 6'2", and over the past couple of years has slowly gone down from 200lb to 175 lb (he only managed to get up to ~200 after almost 2 years of TPN). He works out 3-4 times a week (mostly weight-lifting which he's done regularly for 20+ years). His food goes through him super fast - he sometimes starts putting out supper before he finishes eating. I'm a housewife, so I cook for us - no junk! I'm careful not to give him too much in the way of veggies (his stomach just can't handle them), and more easily digestible stuff. I also try to sneak butter, cream, cheese, and such in wherever I can to get some extra calories into him.

He just hates to see the scale slowly creeping down. For him, not working out isn't an option, so I'm trying to think of ways I can help him gain weight. Right now, he's trying out protein powder, but the shakes come out all frothy and give him terrible gas.

Anyone have any suggestions for things to try? Maybe a way to make the shakes less frothy, or other shake-type things to try (he loves the convenience of being able to drink extra calories)? Is this something that he should really see a dietician for, instead, or his doctor? Besides the slow weight loss, he doesn't really have Crohn's symptoms anymore - just the fall out of so many years on prednisone - so he's determined not to go to the doctor unless he really, really has to.

tl;dr
Help my hubby gain some weight! :)

cmack

Staff member
I think the doctor might be best, they may be able to work with you folks and a nutritionist. Also, the doctor should rule out possible causes of unintentional weight loss. Good luck, welcome, and I hope the scale goes up soon!

I agree with Cmack, it’s best to get him checked even if just for peace of mind. Unintended weight loss could be an indication that more is going on. Hopefully he can be prescribed some supplemental drinks to keep his calories up and gain weight. I have Ensure Plus and it works well for me.

Let us know how it goes, all the best [emoji4]

He can ask his doctor to get him a meeting with a nutritionist. I asked for one and they said "of course".
Instead of protein powders (like shakes and fitness stuff), you can try some natural powders that you can mix in a juice and drink, for instance I drink a freshly squeezed juice with powdered barley grass. Ask the nutritionist about natural powders, and also about probiotics that are essential.

Good luck :)

I too tried to eat dense calories such as cheese, cream, whey protein etc. to gain/maintain weight but it was actually th dairy that was causing the problems. Once I gave up ALL dairy I stopped losing weight. Never had problem with dairy before but it is common as we age (and that goes for healthy people too) we lose the ability to digest dairy.