• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hypafix tape

I have been having off and on problems with dermatitis around my stoma site where the tape is. I learned I had to cut away the original tape and use my own, so I've been using 3m waterproof tape. It's better than most of the other tapes I have tried, but I still get reactions to it. The tapes I have tried are micropore, paper tape, tegaderm(too expensive for having to peal off every day), and a few others. I just ran across hypafix tape and wondered if anyone has tried it. If there are other suggestions for tape, or similar products to hold my appliance down I would very much appreciate them. Thank you

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Jeff,

I can’t give advice about the use of Hypafix and appliances but I do use extensively for wound dressings.

Assuming it is the same tape marketed here as Hypafix then I can give a couple of bits of info…

• It is not a waterproof tape and is permeable to both air and water. Perhaps not a bad thing if occlusive tapes are a bothersome.
  • It is hypoallergenic and I have seen very few reactions to it.
  • It does have very good adhesive properties and while moisture, like showering, can affect it adhesiveness it won’t fall off but may peel at the edges but this seems to vary from person to person.
  • It is flexible.
  • Not as reliant on dry, cream/powder free skin as waterproof tapes are.

Dusty. xxx

Thanks Dusty! I don't need it to be waterproof. I've just been using it as it has caused me the least issues so far. I did a dumb thing by trying the tape that comes with the wafer about a month or two ago and it destroyed my skin, so I'm back to the grind. I think part of the problem is that im having trouble having tape stick to the area around my belly button. Every tape I've used has always come unstuck from the area and gradually becomes unstuck around the wafer, leading the tape to rub against my skin and making it raw. I'm thinking I may very well have to try this tape. Thank you again!

DJW

Forum Monitor
I often have issues with the wafer tape. I remove it when I have issues.

Things I've done in the past:
(I always wear the belt that hooks to the bag)

1. Remove the tape and go tape free. Wear the belt and cover the affected area with gauze.

2. Hypafix is gentle on my skin. I can wear it for months at a time

3. Avoid skin barrier. I find it makes things worse.

I find that's enough to deal with the issue.

Thank yall for your help. I have a nuhope belt that I'm wearing to give me support. I'm using some gauze, with just about a half inch of tape on each side to hold it in place. It's helping, just taking a while to heal. I guess it's just going to take some time. Thank yall for all of the help!