• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hyper Thyroid and Crohn's Disease?

Hello All!

So I had a follow up appointment with my GI doctor yesterday. I'm pretty excited to be continuing my taper of the dreaded Prednisone :D (down to 10mg now) and I also had brought up a few concerns with him as well. One of those concerns was hair loss. I wasn't sure if it was Prednisone, Remicade or some type of vitamin deficiency. He actually suggested I have blood work done to check my thyroid. He called me this morning to inform me that I have a hyper thyroid. Due to being at work and trying not to be on the phone too long I didn't even think of asking him if it could be a side effect of the Pred or the Remicade. Has anyone experienced this diagnosis while on either of these drugs? Or perhaps it's just a coincidence?

I scheduled an appointment with an Endocrinologist, but the first appointment wasn't until August, so I'm stuck waiting on what to do to treat this. I obviously WebMD'ed the topic and the only thing that pops up with hair loss is Grave's Disease. The other symptoms of lack of sleep, hyperactivity and weight loss, I can't tell if I've really experienced, because 2 out of the 3 also occur when on Prednisone. I'd LOVE to experience the weight loss symptom! :tongue:

Any input would be appreciated!! :)

theOcean

Prednisone causes hair loss for a lot of us but it's temporary. It basically causes what seem like symptoms of hyperthyroid. A number of other Crohn's medications can cause this as well!

Once you're off prednisone it should stop and you will be fine.

If I have blood work though showing my thyroid is hyper right now, could that be a whole other separate issue? Or could it be caused by the Prednisone and once I'm completely off of it my thyroid levels would go back to normal?

theOcean

I'm not entirely sure. Prednisone can mimic thyroid issues, but it can also cause thyroid issues in people who have taken it. I would say you're better off getting tests done after the prednisone is out of your body.

Once you're off of it they should go back to normal unless something else is going on.