• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hypercoagulability and Platelet Abnormalities in Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Lady Organic

Staff member
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26270113
Abstract

''Patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) exhibit a threefold higher risk for development of systemic thrombosis than the general population. Although the underlying causes of the increased risk for thrombus development remain poorly understood, there is a large body of evidence suggesting that abnormalities in coagulation, fibrinolysis, and platelet function may contribute to this response. Changes in hemostatic biomarkers are consistent with subclinical activation of coagulation system, including tissue factor activation, impaired protein C pathway, enhanced thrombin generation, and diminished fibrinolytic capacity. There is also evidence for an increased production and reactivity of platelets, with an enhanced formation of platelet-platelet and platelet-leukocyte aggregates. The altered coagulation and platelet function, and the predisposition to thrombus formation have also been demonstrated in animal models of IBD. The animal studies have revealed a major role for inflammatory cytokines, including tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin (IL)-1β, and IL-6, as mediators of the platelet abnormalities and enhanced thrombus development in experimental IBD. These findings in animal models raise hope for the development of novel therapeutic strategies to reduce thrombosis-related mortality in IBD patients.''

I remember reading about leg surveillance when in a flare. Leg thrombosis must be quite common as mentionned for IBD patients. When I get my blood test when I am sick, sometimes, only the platelets come back abnormal and elevated. I think i connect the dots now: high platelet number during repair/ inflammatory process impairs normal blood circulation/function which therefore increases risk for thrombosis. What is interesting now is that I was watching this medical show about the power of onions as a natural blood anti-coagulant (mostly red onions). It makes me wonder if eating onions could even help during a flare, well at least help to prevent the thrombosis for patients with elevated platelets. Well it is already known that onions are rich in prebiotics and encouraged for optimal microbiota. sounds like a potential helpful vegetable for us.
''An onion variety has natural antithrombotic effect as assessed by thrombosis/thrombolysis models in rodents.'' :http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15342218

Lady Organic

Staff member
another similar condition:

''Embolic lower limb ischemia as a rare complication of ulcerative colitis: A case report and literature review.'':

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27324295

description of symptoms:

''The classical description of patients with acute limb ischemia is represented by the "six Ps": pain, pallor, paralysis, pulse deficit, paresthesia, and poikilothermia. Pain may be either constant or elicited by passive movement of the involved extremity. History should include the duration, location, intensity, and suddenness of the onset of pain and changes over time''