• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hypnosis for Crohn's Disease

Hey guys,

I went for some hypnosis today to see if it can give me any help with the Crohn's.

As many of you know from my persistent "over-sharing" offences on this forum, I have a lot of issues with public disgrace, and it strikes me that there must be an undercurrent of stress that contributes... even when you don't think you are worried about public pooping, there must be something in the subconscious that is always on red alert - waiting for a suitable moment of hideousness... the mind is so complex isn't it?

I "think" I had a good session, I say that because I don't remember much of it!

The guy was great - we chatted about my concerns and worries, and anger etc, and then he started the Hypnosis....it seemed like I was only there for 10 mins but when I looked at the clock I had been there over 2 hours!

When I woke up I felt very refreshed, and so much more positive about fighting this disease. Admittedly I am 4 days into a lovely course of pred, so rather jittery and also experiencing some relief on that side, but mentally I felt in a much better place - I even ate some solid food when I got home!

I also came away with some self hypnosis/relaxation tricks to help me chill out - I tried one when I got in and had a lovely sleep for 2 hours - I felt so rested! I feel like I have a warm ball of light in my belly fighting the nastiness of crohns!

What do other people think? Anyone tried it? Early days but I think this is a useful weapon in my fight against Crohn's!!

Lishyloo x

Hey Lishy, I haven't sone hypnosis, but I do meditation. The ball of light in your belly is rather like what I do. I imagine/visualise myself going in there and seeing all the inflammation and nastiness and use healing light to 'clean it up'. Sometimes I even went in there with a scrubbing brush and washed the walls of my ileum to get all the scabby looking stuff off! I also used this technique to close off m abscesses, seeing them getting smaller and smaller. I haven't done this particular technique for a bit now but I did it a lot when I came out of hospital and am sure it did something. Every time I went in there it looked better and better. Can't do any harm eh?

I totally believe in that kind of stuff, if for nothing else but relaxing the mind.
I have been hypnotized probably about 10 times, all for entertainment purposes (apparently I get hypnotized easily) but it all worked on me and some of the messages that they left me with really worked. Especially as you said, waking up and feeling very relaxed and refreshed.

Keep us posted on how you think it is helping.

shazamataz said:
Hey Lishy, I haven't sone hypnosis, but I do meditation. The ball of light in your belly is rather like what I do. I imagine/visualise myself going in there and seeing all the inflammation and nastiness and use healing light to 'clean it up'. Sometimes I even went in there with a scrubbing brush and washed the walls of my ileum to get all the scabby looking stuff off! I also used this technique to close off m abscesses, seeing them getting smaller and smaller. I haven't done this particular technique for a bit now but I did it a lot when I came out of hospital and am sure it did something. Every time I went in there it looked better and better. Can't do any harm eh?
The mind is avery powerful thing.
I relate it to when I played hockey I had a coach that would make us all sit down and visualize winning and doing alll different things. Ive heard of a lot of professional teams that do this as well.

That's great Lishy. I hope it helps you cause you've been having a rough time lately.
I've only got one more thing to say. When ever you hear (or read) the word poop, bark like a dog. lol

I think it's a great idea Lishy - whatever works right?
My husband did some hypnosis for his needle phobia, I was quite surprised when it really worked, he still is not fond of them, but at least he doesn't pass out anymore (probably not supposed to share this on a public forum - sorry hun).