• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I am 60 years old and just diagnosed. Can anyone relate?

dianasgarden

Diagnosed July, 2021. Ridiculously new at this!
HI there,
As the title says, I am 60 years old and was just diagnosed with Crohn's Disease one month ago (although I had symptoms for some time). So far, I am just on Sulfasalazine 3 grams per day, and Imodium when I need it. It seems that most people posting on here were diagnosed at a much younger age, which is to be expected for Crohn's. I am wondering if there are others on here who can relate to being diagnosed at an older age. At my age, I am finding it hard to re-learn how and what to eat, and how to deal with the various pains and diarrhea issues. I guess I am just looking for some peers who can relate to what I am going through. Also my fecal calprotectin was normal, which from my reading, is unusual. Also, I still work full-time, and am finding it tough to deal with things at work. (Seems I always need to run to the bathroom right when I am ready to leave the house to drive to work!)

I am still quite new to all of this, and so far I have only seen the GI doctor one time since the diagnosis. And any advice and tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

scottsma

Hello and welcome but sorry you have to be here.There are quite a few of us on the forum who where diagnosed later in life.I was d'xed in my early 50s,16yrs ago.I can relate to your present problems,as I find it difficult to leave the house in the mornings.Luckily, I don't work and I'm in awe of those who do.I don't want to confuse you with lots of data but if I can I will try to answer any questions you might have.Nothing is taboo on here.There will be others along soon to welcome you.Until then.just get through each day as best you can,you will have bad days but also good ones.Try not to worry or over think things.

Hello! I was "diagnosed" last September at age 66. I use the quotations because my case seems to be unclear. A colonoscopy and endoscopy was done after a summer of frequent digestive issues - pain, cramps, D, fatigue. Biopsies were not clear though results stated "possible Crohn's." I went on to have an enterography CT which showed inflammation in the small intestine and results stated "probable Crohn's."

I was started on mesalamine which didn't do much and then 2 rounds of budesonide which did calm things down to where I had no pain, no fatigue but still almost daily D. Had a second enterography CT 7 months later (in April) that showed much reduced inflammation. I have not been on any meds for Crohn's since April but I do take colestipol for D and that has improved dramatically. My GI is scratching her head a bit about my case so I will have another colonoscopy in Sept. to hopefully get a clearer more definitive diagnosis.

I have always had tummy troubles so have been aware of what foods cause me more difficulty though it has changed over time. High fat and fiber have never been my friends. I probably have felt the best in recent years when I ate a modified keto diet. I lost 15 pounds, had little inflammation and much more energy. Daily walks and lots of water also seem to help. Hope you continue to do well!

dianasgarden

Hi Mary! Thank you so much for your reply. I will see my GI doctor soon, and I will ask about colestipol. I am glad you have had dramatic relief on colestipol, and I wish you well, in terms of clarifying your diagnosis. Diana

I'm a 62 year male and have known for about 2 years that I had Crohn's Disease. My symptoms were coming for a long while. Anyway I started Humira 4 months ago and it helps as does eating blandly and accepting the fact I have Crohn's Disease. Hang in there.

dianasgarden

Hi rfi123158,
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am learning to eat more of a bland diet. And high fat and fiber have never been my friend, as Mary said above. Yes, I have to accept that I have Crohn's Disease; sometimes I still can't believe it (I thought I just had lactose intolerance and irritable bowel syndrome).
I have good days and bad days - I am still trying to analyze which foods are triggering the bad days.
Glad the Humira is working for you! May you stay healthy. Thanks again for your words of wisdom, since you are two years ahead of me on this journey. Diana

Hi rfi123158,
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am learning to eat more of a bland diet. And high fat and fiber have never been my friend, as Mary said above. Yes, I have to accept that I have Crohn's Disease; sometimes I still can't believe it (I thought I just had lactose intolerance and irritable bowel syndrome).
I have good days and bad days - I am still trying to analyze which foods are triggering the bad days.
Glad the Humira is working for you! May you stay healthy. Thanks again for your words of wisdom, since you are two years ahead of me on this journey. Diana
I know I may not be able to control the Crohn's Disease without the aid of drugs, but I can sure as "you know what" control my food choices and my perspective of things so I still have options regardless of what the Crohn's Disease thinks.... 🙂 Stay positive