• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I am new. Hi everyone! Possbibly will need surgery/any advice?

I am new to this forum. Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was in high school. I am now 26 years old and may have to have surgery to remove a stricture in my intestine. I am pretty nervous. I have had a couple of bowel obstructions though, so maybe after those, this will be cake? Has anyone here had bowel surgery and wanna share their story? Wishing everyone well. :smile:

nogutsnoglory

Welcome Tamar! I have had a few surgeries and it's definitely stressful but hopefully if your stricture is removed or opened it will allow you to feel good and eat more.

Would it be a resection or strictureplasty? Would you be a candidate for laparoscopic surgery?

Thanks so much for responding! I should be finding out on Tuesday or Wednesday whether or not I need the surgery in the near future rather than the late future. Luckily, if I do need the surgery, it can be done laproscopily because the stricture is rather short.

Hi Tamar :)

I had an ileoceacal resection on 11th December because after being ill for a while an MRI scan showed I had a stricture. It was about 7cm. I had laparoscopic surgery in the main but also had a 4 inch cut to my right as they ended up taking 8 inches out, as well as my caecum, ileocaecal valve and appendix.

My advice to anyone about having surgery would be to not worry about the actual surgery and to mentally prepare yourself for the recovery. I say this because I got myself so worried about the surgery and didn't even think about the recovery. Obviously you're knocked out during surgery so you don't have a clue and nothing to worry about. After the surgery I had 1 really rough night but then started to improve and have had a good recovery. I guess I didn't prepare for the initial pain and the after effects of surgery like struggling to sit/stand up, walk etc, but like I said it was only 1 rough night until they got my pain meds right and then it got better and to get used to things :)

Hope that helps :)

You guys are so supportive and amazing. Thank you so much. I will let you all know what my doctor says... the radiologist seemed to think the surgery was wise, but my gastro will know best, I assume.

You'll be just fine :) honestly I'm nearly 6 weeks after surgery and I feel great :)

I've found this forum amazing for support :) let us know how you get on :)

Hey again guys! I finally got word from the doctor. He is referring me to a surgeon to remove the stricture. Supposedly it is really very small, so hopefully it won't be too bad to remove it, but I am still nervous. I do not like surgery and have never had abdominal surgery before. Hope everyone is going on well!

nogutsnoglory

Glad your source of pain will be addressed. Abdominal surgery is never fun but it might change your life for the better. Hopefully it can be done laparoscopically and maybe even a strictureplasty versus resection be sure to ask if those are options.