• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I am new to this, but not new to Crohn's Disease

I have had Crohn's Disease for amny years now maybe all my life. Was not diagnosed until 1981. Spent a lot of time in the hospital back then as tried the true and old fashioned way -- IV and meds mixed together. Everyone else was getting surgery and out in no time. My doctors in the beginning did not suggest surgery in any way and what the hell at the age of 25 it just felt good to be away from my parents as my mother did not take the news or the 100 bathroom trips a day too well.

Trouble started in 2005 after the capsule endoscopy which is still inside of me. Problem wsa that I lost my health insurance in 1999 when I was canned and continued on COBRA and then switched over to a individual plan which bankrupted me. The Medicaid for six months and finally the stat subsidized plan.

Been to many, many doctors in Brooklyn (who knew nothing) and many in NYC (affiliated with the best hospitals). Still no results. Have been told so many outrageous stores as to why the problem I have exists. Always explained about the pain, nausea, bloating after eating and some incidents were food caused terrible abdominal pain and throwing up of what ever was ingested whole.

Finally a breakthrough on Janaury 4th. Doctor noticed stricture(s) and finally has CT Enterography performed. Told I needed to see surgeon. Saw surgeon yesterday. However, I have questions regarding the laproscopic procedure including the doctor makes the decision whether to do a strictureplasty or a resectioning and doesn't know until they go in. Also told it takes about a month to heal. I have no one to help out with chores as shopping, laundry, etc.

How is this procedure handled by insurance (I don't even have the hospital deductible) as I only work part-time and haven't held a full time job since 1999. Any suggestions on a surgeon. Michelassi was recommended but not on my plan.

Told surgery is three to four hours. Are there scars? Do the incisions heal?

I am very worried about having the surgery but feel that I can't put it off much longer. I do not want to have an obstruction.

Any thoughts/comments on how insurance handles? how will the surgery feel?

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry I don't have any experience with surgery but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with their experience. You may want to check out our Surgery Forum(<---click here) there some info in there on surgery and you may want to browse the threads for similar experiences of other memebers.

Hi Rhona

Welcome. You should find all the answers you need on the Forum. I was diagnosed in 1978 and finally had the surgery to remove a stricture in October 2010. I kept a daily diary going during the lead up and time in hospital. If you want to read it follow the link below.

I too was worried at the prospect of surgery but having been through it I would say get it done sooner than later. It's better to have elective surgery where you can plan the whole procedure than ending up as an emergency. If you have any questions please ask.

Unfortunately I can't help you with your insurance questions as I'm over in the UK and all the treatment was carried out under the National Health Service.

Regards, Nigel