• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I can't beleive I am eating this!!

Ok, I have been struggling to get my ferrritin up for about 18 months. I had surgery in Sept 2009 and my Hb went down to 89. I couldn't convince the obgyn to give me a blood transfusion - he said its not that low, we don't transfuse until below 80, blood borne pathogen risks etc. I am a Lab Tech so I knew exactly what I was asking for. So for about 9 months I struggled with Iron deficiency Anemia - which I have mananged to eliminate.

But my ferritin is still very low and I am learning that low ferritin can also screw up Thyroid Hormone function. My TSH is over 4 right now - which is not good for me as I usually am best under 1.

I can't eat red meat very often as it bothers me, I am eating a lot of spinach. Iron supplements bother me, I did find a plant based one but it does give me heartburn.

So guess what I am now eating to try and get my feritin up - BABY PABLUM!!! Its easy to digest, is chock full of iron, and I just add it into my Oatmeal.

I can't beleive I have resorted to baby food!! I did get the idea from here as someone mentioned that they ate pureed baby food during a flare - so then I remembered pablum. I am hoping that this will finally get my ferritin to move up to normal.

Can't eat it!! I used to love it as a kid then I studied biology at Nait and realized what it really did. We also had to cut up a human liver as part of our studies. Human liver and cow liver look exactly the same!! So after that I just can't eat it !!

But oooh liver and onions was soooo goood!

When the GI put me on a low fat/low residue diet, he told me the closest I could get to eating fruits and veggies was baby food or V-8 juice. I've been there.

Don't think of baby food of being that bad. At least the food is easy to eat and it can still be tasty. I secretly eat baby food once in a while :O

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
That's so SMART!!!!! Fingers crossed it works for you, and remind me to do same the next time my iron's low, ok? :)