• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I dont get it. I need advice.

I just Can't stand getting up and using the bathroom 6+ times a day. The problem is my back is so bad right now Its horrible to even get up. And im Eating BARELY Anything because of the fact i dont want to keep having to get to the bathroom especially because i am so slow right now with this walker. I honestly Can't handle it.

Immodium doesnt help whatsoever.

im going to lose the LITTLE weight i put on that I SO desperetly need.

What Can surgery do for me? I dont understand. That doesnt STOP the diarrhea... A narrowing of the intestines goes away sure but that isn't what bothers me really. Its the frequent bathroom breaks and never being able to gain weight.

Right now is the hardest situation ever. I cant leave the house. I can barely get to the hospital if i decided to have an MRI on my back. Im barely eating. Both problems are hitting me hard right now when remicade was doing well for a change. This last infusion felt like it was regular salene and no drug.

kev

I think the diarrhea is caused by ulcerations and portions of the bowel that can't absorb nutrients and liquids correctly. Removing these parts leaves you with healthy bowl that can function properly again. If you are merely fighting the ulcers and inflammation then a round of Pred would seem to be right up your alley. If you are battling the scar tissue, surgery is the way to fix that.

I'm sorry to hear you're so down. I sincerely hope it gets better. I'd talk to your doc about your options.

Oh I am so sorry you are going thru hell. I hope you can get help call your Dr someone must be on call. If you feel that bad go to ER. I know it's a pain in the butt but you can't go on like this

I'm so sorry. I understand the feeling of desperation.
If you are going 6+ times a day, that is not remission, that is a flare and
needs to be put into control with some sort of med. What have you tried so far?
Have you spoken to your GI about this? You should NOT have to live like that.
They really need to do something for you.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
I'm sorry its so rough right now. I know surgery has sure helped a lot of people on here. I hope it works for you.

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time Kasper! Like Katie said, it sounds like you have two issues. If there is a need for surgery - sounds like you have a narrowed area that is giving you problems that might need to be removed (to take away the possibility of getting obstructed) AND it sounds like maybe your disease is possibly not under good control if you are still having so much diarrhea? Well, I guess three things going on with the back issues as well. The back thing must be so miserable - is this something that is chronic for you or part of the disease process? I guess you have to decide what the right thing is for you to do. If the doc thinks that having surgery would give you a better quality of life - then I might go for it. I know it really helped me *a lot* - and I have only needed one in 13 years. Sorry you are down - hope you get to feeling better soon!

im only 22 for godsakes, male with osteoporosis. lol.
heres the sob story. made me cry myself reading all your responses.

im afraid as heck to cough because my back will give out crazy... im so immobilized from this sprain/pinched nerve/whatever it is....
on top of all this... My condition is TOPPING the situation and im eating cereal and yogurt only daily which sucks. Every bowel movement looks like a pile of wet pebbles or sand.

Meds ive tried? HA!?

TPN- AWESOME! but almost failed my liver. put on a lot of weight
EVERY TNF therapy.

Prednisone will cripple me at this level.
ALLERGIC to 6-mp.. will make me leukepenic
etc.. etc.. etc..

i just need inspiration... its better to eat than Not right? Even though im going 100 times a day. its not the really the diarrhea at most.. its the bathroom accidents and having to get up FAST with a real bad back..

Surgery? the only option for surgery is to cut my 15cm of Stricture.. how is that going to cure diarrhea? i dont know.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Go in and have a real brutal heart to heart with your GI....He may recommend you consult a surgeon. I was at your stage in 2008. Pretty much could not get off the couch except to poop....I was done! You shouldn't have to be in so much agony Kasper. Please go see your GI ASAP.

I talked to my G.I Yesterday and also my OTHER G.I at the University of Chicago. I left him a message about next options. He keeps saying Surgery or other medicines but i have been on them all.

Thing is... the STRICTURE is what they want to cut out. Ive never had a blockage in my life. That shouldnt be the cause of my diarrhea all these years and malabsoption.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I think if your food misses a step in the whole digestion process(Due to swelling/malabsrption), or passes too quickly, you can have D. I had my ileum resectioned because I kept having obstructions. Constant D the whole time.

If youre not absorbing the nutrients and liquids out of the food you eat properly... and like IMP says are "skipping" a part of the digestive process because of a stricture you will have diarrhea.

Unfortunately you must continue to eat more because you poop more, but you poor more because you eat more, but you eat more because you poop more...

and so our vicious cycle goes. I've never had surgery thankfully, but I've had the frequent bathroom issues. I've learned to cope by knowing where bathrooms are, and plan my bowel movements.

If you start to keep a journal of your meals and shiites, you may begin to see a correlation between the times you are going to the bathroom. If you know you will be in the bathroom two hours or two minutes after you eat, you can begin to plan how to get out of the house.

I would also try altering my diet. Using the food journal you may start to see you poop more from different foods. The best thing we can do for ourselves is discipline. Know your limits. I've used panty liners on multiple occasions because I sometimes leak. Sometimes you have to adapt in untraditional ways, just never be ashamed and things are easier.

Feel better Crohnie.

You can try Miracle Mineral Solution. It will kill off much of the bad bacteria in the intestinal tract. It is not approved to treat anything, but I have used it to stabilize myself. So have at least three other people I know of with Crohn's.

Read up on it, and its chemical properties and see if it is something you are comfortable with. If you do decide to try it, start out at the lowest dose and drink plenty of water after taking it. Do not rush to a high dose, as it is quite powerful.

Do not take within 4 hours of any medications.

I would avoid Milk. It harbors the bacterium that may be the cause of many symptoms.

Dan