• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I don't have Crohn's, but I do suffer from it.

Hey everyone. I'm new here, as you could probably guess from the label. I don't personally have Crohn's (or UC or IBD of any sort), but I am married to a man that has been diagnosed with Crohn's since 2008, when he was 18 or 19 years old. We've been married for a little over 2 years now, and while he can get on my nerves sometimes, I love him with everything in me and I couldn't imagine my life without him. We also have an utterly adorable son (not biased at all... :wink:) who is about 1 1/2 years old.

I often get asked the question if I knew what I was getting into when I married him. Did I know that he had Crohn's? Yes. Did I know what Crohn's was? I didn't have an intimate knowledge of it, no, but I did know that he had to take medication for it and it made him use the restroom a lot. My knowledge has since increased exponentially, especially as his condition continues to deteriorate.

He has been on almost every kind of medication out there for Crohn's, to little or no avail. He jokes a lot about how he can recognize any drug, tell you the uses of it, side effects, everything, as well as or better than a pharmacist could. Just looking at his collection of prescriptions, he may as well be a pharmacist. But things have still been rough. Side effects have ranged from fatigue to nausea to diarrhea to bloody stools to abdominal pain to all of the above, depending on the medication. The doctors haven't been able to get his Crohn's under control in the last 2 years, so every day is another day in this never-ending flare-up.

Currently, he is in the hospital, recovering from surgery. We've finally found some doctors who seem to be confident in their ability to help him. This is his first surgery, an ileostomy, and at first he seemed to be recovering really well. He was actually excited to hear that he was going to finally get his ostomy -- his "poo-poo bag", as he likes to call it -- just due to the fact that he wouldn't have to experience the desperate bathroom urgency again. But, the doctors have said that his stoma output is too low, and he has been experiencing an abnormal level of pain for this far past his surgery. Basically, they're worried that there could be a blockage of some sort, and will be running an x-ray soon, and possibly more tests after that depending on the results of the x-ray. We had hoped that he would be home by now, but now it looks like it will still be another week.

I'm struggling, trying to be supportive of him through all of this, trying to raise our son as best as I can, more or less on my own, while his Daddy goes all of this. I put on a brave face for our friends and family, and for him, but it is very hard. I don't have Crohn's, but I do suffer from his.

Rehopeh:
Welcome to the fourm. You have come to the right place to be able to vent and get support.

It sounds like your husband is suffering a lot. He is blessed to have a family who cares for him.
But yes, it is the whole family who hurts along with the person who has Crohns. It is a very frustrating disease.

It would be very hard to be the caregiver. You do need to be able to vent.

there is actually a place on this site for spouses: check out the support groups. You will find others who are also taking care of their spouses. I hope you find the support you need.

Welcome to the Forum Rehopeh:

Sorry to hear that your husband is still in the hospital. I see you posted this a few days ago. Is he home now? I do not have Crohns, either, but suffer right along with my 20 year old daughter who has it and recently had to drop out off college because of the flare she is currently experiencing. I can completely relate to you as it is hard to see someone you love so very much suffer and to continue to stay strong for family and friends when, often times, you just feel like you are crying inside. No one knows what it is like to be in a support position, like you and I, unless they have been there. We have to stay positive and be a cheerleader while we do our best to juggle work, a sick husband or daughter, and reassure everyone to not worry about me, I'm fine, when the truth is that you don't want to think about how you truly are. It is a hard and sometimes lonely role that we have to fulfill, but we have to continue to be strong as we pray everyday that they get better soon.

Stay strong and please post a note whenever you need to chat with those of us, here in the forum, who can relate to what you are going through.

Take care.

Lisa :ghug:

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Yes you do suffer fom this. I also did with my wife of 39 years. She has colitis and I know what you are going through. But to make things worse, I found out I have crohns in Nov. 2011. What are the chances of BOTH of us having this, slim to none. But we do. My wife had her colon removed so her colitis is now cured, I wish they could do that for pepole with crohns There is no cure for crohns as you know. As a husband of a wife that suffered from IBD for over 30 years I know what you are talking about, but it will get better. When your husband gets this all worked out things will get better. I had an ilyostomy for 9 months and loved it. They reversed it because they said "it was the thing to do". I don't know about that. I started having a flair 2 months after the reversal.

Keep your head up. You will find peace in your life and your husband will get well soon.

Jim (Pops)