• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I feel awful (Anxiety) about maybe losing my job

So i got back into working, the last job i had was in Food Catering, I am in it now again, this time in my town. I wake up in the morning thinking about a flare, i work thinking about it, i come home thankful i got though the day and think about it some more.... I think about the next day and it never stops.
My Ulcerative Colitis is near remission, i wouldn't say its in it anymore since starting this job, the first day i had Orientation I was running to the bathroom in the morning just before it. And the next day I was a little better, the day after that was my first day and before work at 5:00am I was going to the bathroom with anxiety attacks.
Long hours, free gourmet food to eat for our first half hour breaktime and free gourmet lunch which i avoid....... so from 4:00am when i eat breakfast at home I wait to eat until I come home anywhere from 3pm to 6pm which is not good but what the hell do i do, i know I'll be going to the bathroom if i eat during the day and maybe end up in a flare. The job can't make any accommodation for me. We got to wok fast and accurate or else flights can get delay.
I've been applying for jobs for the last two years since my last flare/job lost hospitalize.

This is freaking scary. I'm looking for a Office Job long term.
Oh i got back pains from Spondylolisthese which I'm about to see the doctor for. Already been to the ER two days ago, Morphine did nothing for my stomach and back pains i had two days ago.

How do people work and eat during the day with this, this is freaking horrible.

How not to worried about it?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Swirl, I hope you can find a less stressful job and feel better about things. I work a desk job myself and it's pretty good, I can run to the bathroom when I need to and my boss and co-workers are all very understanding and accommodating. I don't think I could work a high-stress job where I'm on my feet all day so I think you're right for wanting to get into another line of work.

Have you mentioned the anxiety attacks to your doctor? I don't know much about it but surely there are treatments that would work well for you and help ease your anxiety about flares and work. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about anxiety can give you better info about that. Anyway, I hope things get better and you can find a more relaxed work environment. Good luck!

I guess the job is stressful, I never talk about it with my doctor, i did a little research and seen that its similar to painkillers where it can disturbed your mind and have suicidal thoughts. I really wouldn't want to be on them.
I'm a little too because i had two job offers, and wonder if i should have taken the other...

There are other treatments for anxiety,not just drugs. CBT comes to mind, where you work to override the automatic anxiety provoking thoughts, and so once you cam relax your brain your body will learn to relax.

For example, you said in your post title that you are anxious about possibly losing your job. Why do you think that is a possibility? Nothing you have said in your post suggests you're at risk. So that is an anxiety provoking thought, that if you thought about logically, is kind of unnecessary. So when you think that you might lose your job, you could think that you have not done anything to warrant it, so they would have to at least give you warnings first, so it's actually very unlikely at the moment.

I never heard of CBT, I got to look that up.
The morning of Orientation, my stomach was running, but when i left I was ok, I had the day off the next and seem to be fine, I started the day after and my stomac began to run again just before work.
The last job I had was similar to this job and was in a flare and use the bathroom more and more the longer I was there and I got really anemic too. I don't want to end up having to go so much again because that will be slowing down everybody. I try to avoid eating lunch, i had to yesterday and my stomach began to bubble for the rest of the day afterward, i kept thinking not again.
It was either this job or another seasonal job for three months. After being in remission for months I really wanting to work again. So there was no way I wasn't going to not choose this job. Light work is boring but I have to try to consider doing that. I like moving around doing things, but I guess that brings on stress.