• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I Feel like I'm Reborn

Dear Friends,

I'm an Indian, 33 years old, married and have a 9 year old son.
I've been suffering from symptoms of bouts of vomiting, abdominal cramps and weight loss from 2008, May.

A year after in March, 2009, I was diagnosed for Crohn's disease after Barium tests, enteroscopy, Biopsy, TB tests and colonoscopy.
I was put on Asacol and Budesonide and was advised to follow a "NO FIBRE" diet. Things were good when I was strictly following the diet plan. My weight gained to 46kg from 42kg.

I found it very difficult to follow this diet regime without any vegetables and raw fruits as I'm a vegetarian and I do not eat any meat.
The abdominal cramps and vomiting started again and in March, 2010, I started with Ayurvedic treatment (Ancient Indian Medical Science). I completely lost my appetite, started losing weight and vomiting became more frequent. I tried Homeopathic treatment for a couple of months too.

Meanwhile I suffered a severe urine infection and went back to allopathy. My weight was down to 38kg and I had to quit my job as I had become too weak.
I was diagnosed for Crohn's at the terminal ileum with entero-vesical fistula after a series of tests(Colonoscopy, TB tests, USG, CTenteroscopy, Cystoscopy). I was put on Pentasa(6 x 500mg), Budesonode(3 x 3mg), antibiotics and supplements.

Life became extremely painful as no pain reliever could alleviate the pain. Lot of particles were found in my urine along with blood and pus.
I was admitted for a week in the hospital and was given IV antibiotics and my condition became a little tolerable. Doctors advised me to take Remicade treatment as performing surgery may lead to flare up. I took 3 doses of remicade.

The fistula had only grown in size and my urine infection was getting worsed. I was on liquid food and whatever I ingested would come out through my urine.

SURGERY
In Jan, 2011, I underwent a surgery. My Intestine had been healthier than what the doctor's had imagined. The fistula and some 10 inch of the intestine got removed. A month in the hospital after the surgery, I was just 28 kg. I thought I can never get back to normal life and cursed myself. Many a times I felt suicidal.

Once back home, my health started improving slowly and after several months I experienced 'hunger'. In another 2 months time, doctor advised me to switch to normal diet. With the support of my parents, my husband, other family members and blessings of the god I have recovered very well now. I weigh 46 kg now, feel very healthy and I'm planning to restart my career. I'm still on Pentasa (4x 500mg), Vitamins and omega3,6,9 and I'm also taking drugs for chest tuberculosis.

Nirupama Raghavan,
Hyderabad, India

Thank you for sharing your story! you sound like a true fighter and a strong women. I hope all of this continues for you and that you stay on a path to well being. Your story is very inspiring and I hope you stick around the forum so we can hear how your doing and improving ; )

Welcome to the forum!

:welcome: So glad to have you on the forum Nirupama! It sounds like you've suffered quite a bit.

Do you mind me asking, Are you vegetarian as a religious belief or a dietary restriction? Many people find a little meat can help them feel stronger; of course you can also try tofu, eggs, beans if you can tolerate them, soy products too.

There are many vegetables we call "safe foods" meaning they doon't usually cause pain or bad effects-if you search under safe foods-there is a thread where many on the forum have posted their safe vegetables and fruit. Also white rice, oatmeal, cream of wheat are usually safe too.

I wish you better health and healing thoughts! :wink:

I'm a vegetarian by religion.

Dear Mountaingem,
I'm a vegetarian due to our religious beliefs. Thank you for your guidance regarding safe foods.
Friends,
Does intake of Pentasa for longer durations(more than a year) have side effects.

Nirupama

HI Nirupama,

I am suffering from crohns disease as well. where did you had your treatment in Hyderabad. Please suggest.

-Bhana

Hi niruragh :) The way you have suffered my heart goes out to you....but the best thing is you are on the path to recovery :) :) God bless you :) I have been taking Pentasa for last one year and i don't seem to face any problem. I have heard its the mildest of the tablets. What you can do additionally is to practise meditation or Pranayama very slowly. It reduces stress which can be the reason when suffering from Crohn's and also you can feel mental peace. Eat normal diet excluding oil and spicey stuffs. Eat six to seven small meals every 3 hours a day. It will help you in digestion better and also help you gain weight :) All the best :)

HI Nirupama Raghavan,
I recently diagnosed with crohns disease as well. where did you had your treatment in Hyderabad. Please suggest.