• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I get my 2nd Cimzia Injection today will post side effects

I go to my GI's office today for follow up and my 2nd Cimzia injection. Last injection I had a horrible headache in the evenings and Sinus problems and little fatigue. Well see what this shot does hopefully nothing but make me better. Ill be letting his nurse administer the shots to start because I'm to chicken I helped with the first one but still nervous about giving it to myself. Ive been giving my Type 1 diabetic son shots since he was 5 but dang if I can give one to myself. Just makes me realize how brave my son is.

Cindy

Got my 2nd shot today around 3 so far so good the nurse gave me both in my stomach. My only complaint was when she gave it to me on the right hand side of my stomach I hardley felt it. When she gave it to me on my left side it hurt so bad made me want to cry. Thats also the sidewith most the inflamation. its still a little sore.

Ill post again tomorrow of any side effects or any positive effets

The only thing I can say is Ive had a slight headache I did work today and felt fine otherwise. The first shot I felt really tired I didnt feel like that with this one and I started my prednisone taper today also. The left side of my tummy is tender where the one shot was given but thats pretty much it.

Last edited:
OK this 3rd day after 2nd injection and I want to mention I am also tapering off prednisone. My bowel have put the brakes on. Ive only been 1 time today this morning actually. I also do not have any urgency. So far so good no side effects as of right now.

Crohn's Mom

Thanks for posting your experience with Cimzia as you go along :)
My daughter is also taking Cimzia and it's always interesting to read about others experiences with it.
Best of luck to you! :)

Your Welcome!

Ok its been 1 week since my 2nd loading dose, I'm still tapering from prednisone Im at 30 mg will go to 20 next Wednesday. All I can say is amazing!!! my urgency is gone I'm going 2-3 times a day But Ive added a little fiber from avocados to my diet I have problems with the low residual diet not a big fan of that one. My stool is not what I would call completely formed but I can see a huge difference. I do still have some blood from my anal rectal fissures but not always. Side effects are 0 have none at this point. I do feel a little anxious but a girlfriend told me it might be the tapering off prednisone.

I want to note that the amount of times a day I go to the bathroom really does depend on what I eat If I accidentally get some dairy then that's it I'm done for as I am lactose intolerant.

I pray this drug continues to give me this quality of life that I have not experienced in a long long time.

Just an update Ive had my 3rd loading dose 2 weeks ago. I am still tapering off prednisone now down to 15mg. I'm have happy to say that the bleeding has completely stopped only a tiny bit from my anal fissures. (I hate those things) My insurance finally approved my next injection its on the 5th of Dec as I am on Monthly injections now.
I feel better then I have in probably 15 yrs. I am not having any side effects at all from Cimzia as of right now and it seems this drug is doing it job.

I've now had my second dose of cimzia and so far no side effects !! It's hard to know I also just started azathioprine but so far seems good. I have not noticed any change in crohns symptoms yet although I am hopeful that cimzia is better than humiera. These shots hurt way less and don't give me painful reactions like humiera! Praying this one works for me! Hope everyone else on here has good luck with this drug as well.

Well its been almost a month since my last injection. I get it again on the 5th and so far so good, as much as I wish every day was perfect it is not, However My bowels are straight. I do not have the urgency I use to have. I am now able to sleep through the night. I am tapering on Prednisone right now, I'm at 15mg. I'm not seeing any blood. My fissures are not near as bad as they use to be. I cant see down there but I'm guessing they are healing. I hope!

I just took my second loading dose and no noticeable side effects. I've just finished my pred taper too.

The only thing I notice is being pretty tired after the injection but if I muscle through it I can stay awake. I think after my last loading dose I'm going to switch to doing them right before bed so I can just sleep that way.

Glad to hear its working for you. I can't really tell since I have an ostomy bag and output can change hourly/daily. I would have a better gauge on it if I were still able to poo. Once I have my reversal I'll see what it does for that department.

Crohn's Mom

Happy to hear that Cimzia seems to be doing relatively well for all three of you - more happy to hear that there aren't any negative reactions :)

Thanks for sharing !

I have now had my 4th dose a nurse came to my house to teach me how to give myself my shot. I was going to my GI's office to get it. All is good I'm continuing to tapper off of Prednisone. I'm at 10 mg, started at 60mg back in October. My bowels are still co-operating. I think Im starting to have some withdraw symptoms from the prednisone I feel more tired in the late afternoon
. Its a weird tired I cant explain its like something has sucked the life out of me, plus I keep getting these feelings of doom in the pit of my stomach. Its weird not sure if its the prednisone doing this but I didn't start feeling this crappy till I dropped to 10 mg. There is still no blood and my bathroom visits are still minimal. I at least know the Cimzia is working.

Crohn's Mom

I'm glad the Cimzia is still working.
If you think things are going south from the prednisone taper, maybe ask your doc to bump you back up a bit and then do a much slower taper. Your body may just need a little more time to adjust.
:hug: I hope your symptoms don't get worse; I know that fatigue from coming off the pred can be horrible :(

Just wanted to update this thread. I will be takeing my 5th injection of Cimzia on the 2nd of Jan I am now down to 5 mg of prednisone and I know the Cimzia is working because the tapering is having no effect on my bowels. I want to stress I was in really bad shape when I was diagnosed. Ive had this for a long time according to my GI. It was so bad that they couldnt get all the way through im Colonoscopy due to a stricture so I had a lower barium X ray. I know its the Cimzia working I have Zero pain, bowel movments maybe 1 to 2 times a day although if I eat dairy or something I probably shouldnt then its a differant game. I feel better then I have in years I just hope it works for a long time.
I just want to note they they had thought the Stricture was mostly made up of inflamation
Cimizia works for me.

I'm getting ready to take my 6th injection on Sunday and I can really tell I need it I feel like crap my body aches and My tummy is bothering me. I do not have diarrhea but I started running fever last night then again I could be coming down with something hard to tell.

Ive been off prednisone for about 4 weeks now but still on the other meds in my signature

Been on Cimzia since October. I'm not so sure its working or if its just me. I got my shot on the 2nd of Feb well I'm noticing I am having a cramping like pain on my left side I do have a stricture. I've noticed My joints are achy and then the side pain. I am not going to the bathroom any more then normal and I have no urgency and I'm not seeing blood these are good things but not sure where this joint pain is coming from and the achy side feels like trapped gas or something but i'm going to the bathroom. I have for the last week felt fluish symptoms with fever and all went to doc he put me on antibiotics says I have sinus infection and a viral bug. I'm posting some of this in the general forum as I would like others Input but I wanted to put it here as my Cimzia is what I was counting on to put me in remission. It seems to only hold for about 2 weeks then I feel like I need another shot

Crohn's Mom

Have you discussed with your doctor about possibly doing you injections bi-weekly as opposed to once monthly ?

Is this your first sinus infection since starting the Cimzia?
I am curious because Gab started with them months ago, and can't seem to keep them gone.
Wondering if there may be a connection ~ what do you think?

Please post. I am less than a week away from my third starter shot set and not feeling hopeful. I am hoping you are well!?! 😄

Have you discussed with your doctor about possibly doing you injections bi-weekly as opposed to once monthly ?

Is this your first sinus infection since starting the Cimzia?
I am curious because Gab started with them months ago, and can't seem to keep them gone.
Wondering if there may be a connection ~ what do you think?
I am going to be talking to my DR about going BI weekly. I can tell I'm due for my shot, I get it next week. Im starting to feel like crap, same thing happaned last month but as soon as I got my shot I was fine. Yes that was my first sinus infection since I started Cimzia. He put me on antibiotics and its gone now, but now I have loose stools either from the Anitbiotics or Needing my shot who knows. Im still not going 30 times a day which is good but I was crampy yesterday then about 4:00 the loose stools started good thing I only had an hour left of work.