• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I got my PhD today

I’ve had Crohn’s since a teenager (though undiagnosed for quite some time). I had a horrible time getting a diagnosis and severe Crohn’s that required emergency surgery to treat a perforation 10 years ago.

I’m 32 soon and today I passed my viva and have been awarded my PhD! I now work full-time in medical communications for a large pharmaceutical company and there are a few of us with Crohn’s! I’m due to get married in a few months (covid permitting) and I own my own home with my fiancé. Getting a diagnosis and treatment has enabled me to obtain my dreams :)

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread and posting this most excellent news!

Getting a diagnosis and treatment has enabled me to obtain my dreams :)

... After reading your signature, I think your hard work, spirit had a "little" to do with your success ;)

Congratulations!

Maya142

Staff member
Thanks for sharing and congratulations! My kiddo is hoping to do a PhD after college - I will tell her your story!

Wow!! What a fantastic achievement for you. Congratulations and well done. Us parents need to hear more stories like yours.
Thank you for sharing and good luck for your future. X