• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I had a stroke

Hi. I am new to the forum and was just diagnosed with Crohn's on 8/5/2013. I have an active abscess in the terminal ileum and am facing ileocecal resection. I had a small stroke on 8/26 at work. Thankfully my coworkers jumped into action to call 911 and contact family members. I spent three days in the hospital. The symptoms resolved and I am doing fine for now. This has added a new layer of complexity and stress to the upcoming surgery (which is delayed for the moment because of the stroke). I have read that some with Crohn's can develop a blood clotting disorder, as the blood is stickier. Anyone else here been through the same thing and had surgery, with success? Just a bit stressed and trying to chill at this critical time :)

Last edited:
Hi Zora

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you had to go through that it must have been really scary.

They thought my daughter had a stroke while she was in hospital in March. She couldn't see anything out of her left eye and all the left side of her body went numb for a while.

Luckily this has never happened again.

What have your Doctors said about your upcoming surgery? (((HUGS)))

Hi, Niks. Thanks for your kinds words and I am glad your daughter is OK in that regard. The surgery is expected to be laparoscopic but that could change. Right now, the surgeon is awaiting records from the hospital and neurologist before proceeding. It should hopefully be within the next couple of weeks.

hi Zora,

I've had a stroke as well 7 yrs. ago. From what all 10 neurologists told me is that Crohn's patients can develop clots when they flare due to inflammation in the body. The blood becomes sticky, thus, causing a DVT, PE, or a stroke. You can ask to be tested to rule out clotting disorders like Protein S deficiency, MTHFR, Factor V Leiden, etc.

They ran tests on me and found nothing but my husband didn't like the MD so he fired him and I found a hematologist who found the cause the first time. I have MTHFR genetic mutation, A1298C single, heterozygous.

Seeing as you already had a stroke, as a reminder you can't take any kind of hormones otherwise you risk another clot and a 2nd stroke.

From one stroke survivor to another, I'm glad you are ok

Thank you!

I am glad that your Doctors are getting on top of things quickly.

You will find so many really lovely and supportive people on here, and find out a lot more about your condition.

Hope you hear back soon. It's not much fun waiting and not knowing.

xx

GutlessWonder86, thank you for the information and I am glad you are doing ok. I too am thinking about going to a hematologist. Right now, I am taking 81mg children's aspirin and 10mg Lipitor once per day. My cholesterol is fine, but Lipitor may be able to ward off a stroke for now. Plavix is out of the question due to the upcoming surgery.