• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I had my fistulotomy and have a question re: care

And my surgeon said it didn't enter the muscle, so she cut open the tract (it's a perianal fistula) and put in some dissolvable stitches. She didn't give me any information, really, on how to care for the wound. It's hard to keep it clean and that worries me because she didn't put me on antibiotics. Is that normal, in your experience, to not prescribe antibiotics? I stopped putting gauze on it because it irritates it and makes it bleed more. Should I suck it up and keep putting gauze on it? I was a little surprised that I wasn't given any instructions. I'm not too worried or I would call the emergency line. It hurts like I expect being cut open and scraped out down to the muscle would. Any advice would be appreciated!

They're internal. Thanks for the tip! I'll do that. Yeah, straining is not my problem. I'm surprised she didn't give me a sheet with instructions.

That does seem odd, I did get instructions, but they were vague. The stitches hurt like heck when they start to dissolve. This happened for me around day 10, I though something was infected so I called the hospital and the doc said it was the stitches dissolving.

Thanks for warning me re: the stitches. Do you know what the stitches are for? Do they hold it open so it heals from the inside out? I ask because they haven't mentioned packing the wound. The surgeon only talked to my husband and they didn't even set up a follow-up appointment. I'm assuming I should go back in for a follow-up. But if I don't have to, I won't. I'd like to save the money. :)

I didn't have stitches the first time I had surgery, my fistulas were just laid open. The second time I had surgery, my surgeon found a sinus that didn't connect to anything so he cleaned it out and stitched it. Not sure if it worked though. I didn't know I had it in the first place, so doubt I would know if it came back.

Could be your surgeon used stitches so the inside would head and nothing would get into the tract?