• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I hate anxiety

I think I may be getting anxiety about starting my final year of high school on Tuesday. I have not gone to the bathroom for the past three days, although I do not feel bad, even though I have done very strenuous exercise which usually makes me go to the bathroom. I am also very tired yet I cant sleep at all even though I have been trying to sleep for the past hour and I have had enough now. I feel like I am going to tear my head off right now especially because of the bathroom thing. I guess there is going to be some miralax in my future.

Sorry just needed the rant

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
No problem Jeff.

As someone who survived my final year of highschool, I can promise you it is noting to worry about. Not much is that different. Sure you want to do well for post-secondary education, but really it is just like any other school year.

Everyone goes through this and comes out fine, and so will you. Is there something that is especially making you anxious? Is there something that you are fearful about regarding this year?

Thanks Mike,

I really have no clue whats making me nervous. I have never been nervous about a school year before in my life but all of a sudden last night I started to get the anxiety feeling.

Hey guys good news I just went to the bathroom after not going for a few days and the stool was not hard or anything bad it was just normal. Just wanted to let you guys know about it.

Kev

Well, whether 'they' ever establish a link between stress & IBD or not, think we can all safely state that stress is not good for the body. Perhaps a positive step (not directly tied into fighting IBD) would to be to look for a method of coping with stress. Yoga, Tai Chi, whatever... I used to participate in combat shooting, and I found it a very relaxing past time. (mind you, I did not get into it to as a competitive event)..

Yeah I run, ride bikes, do pushups/situps, and jump/vault everything in my path. I also do deep breathing while doing long stretches which help me deal with the stress but every so often I get an anxiety attack that I cant control.

Thanks for the replies

L

leah131

Good Luck tomorrow Jeff. I am sure all will be fine.
Best of luck again.
Leah

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Glad everything is moving along normally. If you think you are worried about school, why not do some activities to get over the stress? That may mean doing excercise, or it may mean do activities to prepare you for school (like get all paper/pens and supplies ready, start reviewing work you will need to know, etc.) to make the start of school less stressful. Take away the fear by planning. I would also really think "why am I anxious". Think about it hard and try and realize what is causing it (and then you can realize that it is not necessary for you to worry about it... as there is nothing really in life that matters enough to affect your health!).

I think I may have made myself stressed by not reading my summer reading and sparknoting it today. I dont do well with thrillers and one of the books was a thriller. THye keep me up all night. The other book I just read three chapters and it kept me up all night coming up with lyrics so it was impossible for me to those books andyways I am off to sleep talk to yall tomorrow after school.

Thanks again guys

Kev

I taught at a number of college campuses (campii ??) here in NS, mostly computer related subjects. I think some of my students developed a love/hate relationship with me. One of the reasons was that for the very 1st class at the start of the semester, I'd hit them with a 'surprise test'. Boy, you should have seen the looks I'd get... Then I'd mark them, return them with their typically dismal scores.. THEN tell my students that this test didn't count... You talk about waves of 'relief', I'd see it literally roll around the room. Then I'd tell them it was the only test I'd ever give that didn't count... BUT, that they'd each had one of their worst 'nightmares'. They'd walked into a 'test' where they were totally unprepared. But life went on. So, it put things into perspective, yet demonstrated the truism that life often puts us to the test, and it generally feels better if we are prepared for it. One of the other things I was noted (hated/loved/despised) for was my unusual teaching method. Other instructors commonly started off slow, and gradually ramped up to more and more difficult things. I did just the opposite. Following a brief primer on the basics, I'd dive my students into the hardest part of the course from the word 'go'. Man, talk about panic.. My biggest challenge at that point was to make sure no one gave up... convinced themselves they just couldn't do/get it. It
was only with time they grasped & appreciated my 'bizarre' teaching method. See,
by starting with the hardest first, I'd given my students the entire semester to get it... and then we'd gradually ramp down... Each & every day would follow with less
and less challenging things to learn.. So those still having problems with the hard stuff had more and more time to go back to it... and those w/o problems could go ahead... I had the highest success rate, and my students were far more advanced
than any of their peers or counterparts. I just had to remind them to reverse this process for tests... but either method will work. One thing more I'd like to add. If you approach school as if it were a 9 - 5, mon - fri job, it will do couple of things. First, that method should get you thru school, even if some days you need to work a little overtime. Second, that approach will prepare you for the workplace.
If you've grown accustomed to a 40 hr workweek at school, you'll find working in any other situation 'old hat'.. (second nature)

Thanks Kev, I like the style of teaching you did it always helps me learn better. I aproach school as if it is a job and with most jobs when I get home I feel like school is over. I hate being able to go home because its hard for me to study or do homework at home because thats my relaxing time. I cant wait to go to college so I can actually study. My school library also closes 15 minutes after school ends so that will never help me.

Thanks guys for all of the help my first day of school went fine with the exeption of getting a class I dont want so I am dropping it and adding an easier class.

Thanks again

B

btcrv

Yea Jeff! Glad to hear it went well. Even if some of your classes are hard, seniors usually get to participate in a lot of cool events.

You're lucky too... school started her in my Florida county August 3rd.

Haha sucks for them but they do get a longer summer then I will next year. They will get like an extra month then I will. But anywho its my last year so I dont mind.

V

Valentina

glad your feeling a bit better now Jeff. Anxiety can have a life of its own it seems. not an easy feeling to get through, glad you found a way.