• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I hate Imuran!!!!

R

ruthymg

after just getting over some very sore mouth ulcers, I now have a very sore throat, still with spots on my tonsils, my glands are swollen, my sinuses are killing me and I feel sick!!! This always happens this time of year, you can guarantee that any viruses in the air will make their way towards me. I hate it, when I'm not on Imuran I feel ok most of the time and in the 2 short weeks I been back on it, I,ve discovered I have a fissure, which I know is crohns related but still uncomfortable, numerous mouth ulcers and now this stinking cold. So its official IMURAN STINKS......... vent over, thanks for listening.

Ruth:ymad:

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Sorry to hear what you are going through Ruth. The thing with Imuran is it can take at least a month or even two months to have any beneficial effects, so you just need to live with it until then. Hopefully it is worth what you are going through now and it is becomes very beneficial.

R

ruthymg

Ok, so a month ago, I posted here saying I hated Imuran as I feel shitty all the time. In the last month I have been ok but yesterday I started with a sore throat which developed in to swollen tonsils. I have earache, headache ,neck ache and general muscle ache. Oh and, you know the epiglotis (least thats what I think its called - the thing that hangs down in the back of your throat) is swollen and extremely uncomfortable, so I'm now taking pain killers as well. I was just wondering whether anyone else has several infections when on Imuran or does it just not suit me? I'm currently on 100mg and have spoken to my IBD nurse and she basically said that for my bodyweight I need to be on 100 - 125mg and any less wouldn't do anything. I've also learnt that Imuran causes tiredness, that explains why I feel tired all the time!!! Does anyone here have any info on alternative meds that do a similar job to Imuran? is 6map similar? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ruth

Your having quite a rough go ?
I wouldn't want to be in your household right about now.LOL you would probabaly bite my head off
Sorry I cant give you any advise because i haven't taken Imuran before nor will I in the future.
Also sorry to hear about your fissures as you no that I'm still dealing with mine.
Hopefully mine the dr will do setons for me when I see him on the 27th.As your well awear of Iv'e been dealing with mine since Nov. I believe.your the person other people talk to who have fistulaes.
The only thing I can suggest is taking cipro and or flagle.Remicade also slows the draining process down.Taking both sometimes stops the whole process (draining and in some cases rids the fistula itsself)depends on you and your body. What works for me may not work for you.
I can tell you about your tonsils though.My daughter has this problem.The sor throat swelling at back of throat,she picks these little white specs off back there.She also has that thing that hangs down in the middle of her throat gets really sore,(Icant even see mine ) she also gets very bad breath. Very soon she will have to get her tonsils taken out as this happens quite often. For now the Dr. prescribes her amoxicillan. It helps untill the next time.
What you have dosen't sound associated with CD. It may be a viral infection. Thats what it sounds like. I would ask your GP about your tonsils.
Again my sympathy goes out to you.
Hope your feeling better soon. :(

R

ruthymg

I don't actually need to take Imuran for my fistulas or for the fissure as they've all healed now. I think my GI put me back on it to keep me in remission after the reversal surgery. The thing with the tonsils though, I agree, I think it is a viral infection. I think bad breath can go hand in hand with crohns not just throat infections, I'm forever chewing gum!!! The thing is, I don't want to have to have my tonsils out, even though they have caused a few problems over the years as theres lots of risk with that type of surgery. I actually know someone who choked on her own vomit and died after that operation. . . . .yeah really!!!
I've had amoxycillin in the past and it totally disagrees with me, I have got a stash of Metranidazol and Cefalexin which I suppose I could take if things don't settle down. I know thats kinda naughty, not speaking to my doc and all but I can't see there being any probs, after all I've had them both before. What do you think?

Ruth

WELL LET'S HATE IMURAN TOGETHER!! :) I hate it too, I'm thinking about switching to Remicade because I'm losing all sorts of hair... its quite depressing... mmm but maybe if I go bald I'll look as good as Demi Moore did... HA FAT CHANCE :)

When I first started Imuran about 2.5 years ago, I suffered a very bad sinus infection with bloody mucus etc.... This was cured by antibiotics. Since then I haven't had any major infection, but suffered liver toxicity from it, and had to reduce the dose from 150 mg to 50 mg. My GI also wants me to stay on it for remission. But, I hate it too :)

I didn't like the sound of the side effects of Imuran when my doctor wanted to put me on it so I didn't start it. Liver toxicity and possible tumorous growths? I'll pass, thanks. My family already has a history of cancer. Didn't think I wanted to deal with Crohns and tumors too. Talk about stress...

ruthymg said:
I don't actually need to take Imuran for my fistulas or for the fissure as they've all healed now. I think my GI put me back on it to keep me in remission after the reversal surgery. The thing with the tonsils though, I agree, I think it is a viral infection. I think bad breath can go hand in hand with crohns not just throat infections, I'm forever chewing gum!!! The thing is, I don't want to have to have my tonsils out, even though they have caused a few problems over the years as theres lots of risk with that type of surgery. I actually know someone who choked on her own vomit and died after that operation. . . . .yeah really!!!
I've had amoxycillin in the past and it totally disagrees with me, I have got a stash of Metranidazol and Cefalexin which I suppose I could take if things don't settle down. I know thats kinda naughty, not speaking to my doc and all but I can't see there being any probs, after all I've had them both before. What do you think?

Ruth
Thats what I do if I have some infection or viris that I had before well I just take the pills for which ever viris that I have at the time. Saves a trip to the Drs. for now especially when your feeling like crap. THen I call up my Dr. expain to him my problem and what kid od meds I took and most of the times I'm right so its okay with him.If he thinks that its serious enough to see him then I go. BUt mosy of the time its al right with him. I would still call your GI and let him know just so he can document it in there files.
Thats preety serious stuff dying just to get relief from tonsils. Maybe I will double check with my daughter's throat before she has surgery.
Bye for now

R

ruthymg

mmm, I'm still laying off the antibiotics, I do feel a little better, so I thought I'd sit it out.

Ruth