• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I hate morphine

I have had no less than 3 episodes with my chrons requiring surgery. The first 2 was while I lived in Thailand, and the second resulted in peritonitis which is extremely painfull...well at least added to the general pain while recovering from being gutted like a fish from the celiac plexus to the top of my pubic hair...
So the only pain meds that work are morphine. In thailand this was outright pleasant in the way that I could have it whenever i wanted to...as long as I stayed within a daily dose that was quite liberal :)

Only problem, when that stuff comes flying into my body I get a panic attack. It feels like I can't breath, so no morphine for me unless I also get a liberal dose of oxygen!

Here in Norway however they are quite strict with their pain meds, so when i was operated here, post op pain was actually worse to deal with. So recovering from surgery was litterally a pain in the a...uh...gut, as the pain meds they gave me was just crap!

I really hate pain now. Does not help that I have kidney stones the size of golf balls every year either. Those pains are just beyond everything. So I always end up in the ER compeletly crazy with pain...and they give me some crap that does not work. And then after a few ours of agony they finally get it, and gives me a hospital bed and a shot of morphine, the only thing that works... that was until I discovered that one of the pain meds I got after surgery from my chrons works brilliantly, but they refuse to give me a receipt for that. All I ask for is to keep 2-3 pills of that stuff around the house, and I'll be fine (the attacks never last more than a day). But no-no...
Looks like it's better to keep me in a hospital bed and give me Morphine...argh!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I never liked morphine but the symptoms you have are an allergic reaction, and I wouldnt be taking them. You may see if your country has Tramadol/Tramacet. We crohnies should never be without pain meds. All you can say is that if they dont give you pain meds you will be showing your face multiple times wasting a hospital bed... they should listen. My Gp wont give me nothing but my Gi will, only because my Gp wont help me with the crohns when I have a GI...which I can never get in to see. Drugs are very controlled here. :hang:

I never liked morphine but the symptoms you have are an allergic reaction, and I wouldnt be taking them. You may see if your country has Tramadol/Tramacet. We crohnies should never be without pain meds. All you can say is that if they dont give you pain meds you will be showing your face multiple times wasting a hospital bed... they should listen. My Gp wont give me nothing but my Gi will, only because my Gp wont help me with the crohns when I have a GI...which I can never get in to see. Drugs are very controlled here. :hang:
Yeah, tramadol/tramacet is what helps allmost intsantly with the kidney stones. Does not do anything for my Chrons pains at all though.

But what I worry about are the kidney stones. My Chrons pains ara walk in the park compared to them. So I'd love to have just a couple of them at home for "emergency" use. But If I dont have pain right there and then they refuse to give me any. Nad that really p...me off. It s not like I am asking for a regular supply due to addiction...then I think the !"#!"% morphine is worse.

As for an allergic reaction to the morhine....the discomfort, panuic attack only lasts a few seconds if I have my oxygen...so I doubt it's an allergic reaction. And with enough pain I will ask for it.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I get kidney stones too.. I have had four and 3 times for lithotripsy and when they were banging on the right side, they didnt get it when I said I was in severe pain it shut down my intestines and had a bowel obstruction. The left side was ok. When I went for the second stone on my right (9mm) I told them lots of pain meds...and the urologist said, oh yeah this one is the one who has low pain tollerance... I said to the technician This is the one who has crohns disease on this side and he winked. I will never go back to that Winnipeg urologist again, idiot.

I get kidney stones as well and I've heard that it's extremely common for Crohnies to continue with kidney stones problems because there is a link between stones and the disease. I've had to deal with them quite often, especially a few months ago, and I agree, that pain isn't much fun.

However, my experiences with morphine are the oppposite of your's. Morphine doesn't do anything for me except give me a really bad headache and insane hot flashes. They won't even give it to me when I go to the ER because it doesn't do anything beneficial to me. I have the same lack of relief with Tramadol as well. My doctor prescribed it to me and I took it as directed for pain and felt absolutely no relief what so ever. I did however feel like it messed with my eyes really bad, kind of like blurred my vision, and made everything really bright. So, I told them this, and asked that they don't give it to me anymore, and they haven't.

When I go to the ER or when I was in the hospital after my surgery, the only pain medicine they give me/the only pain medicine that works is dilaudid. When I was in the hospital, I was on the pain button, and I was getting 0.7mg of dilauded every 7 minutes, if needed. What's crazy is that when I go to the ER, they only allow 1mg every 3-4 hours. Sometimes they give me a shot of toritol or something like that to help "boost" the dlilaudid, even though it's already supposed to be 8-12 times stronger than morphine.