• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I hate not knowing..

I was recently diagnosed and I feel like all that consumes my brain is bowel movements. When to worry, what's "normal".... I get nervous if I have too many bowel movements, too little bowel movements, too loose or too constipated.

Here's what's been going on... about a week ago, I woke up a little nauseous and ended up on the toilet with D about 11 times in the matter of a few hours. I called my dr and by the time he got back to me (later that afternoon). I didn't have the urgency or the nausea so I didn't call him back (i missed his call). Now it seems like one bowel movement is complete D and the next takes effort to get out. I sometimes even go to the bathroom because i feel like I need to go but I can't.

A little background after my surgery, my stools were pretty regular in time and consitancy. I would go in the morning and then after almost every meal and they never took any effort. My husband always laughed at how quick I was in and out of the bathroom..I assumed this would be my new "normal".

The difference in my stools from one to the next has me wondering if something is going on like an obstruction or something? From what I read online, I would have stomache pains, fever etc and I don't have any of that.

I don't think it matters but in case it does..... two weeks ago, I turned my head and heard my head and my neck made a "pop" sound and after that I could hardly move my neck. I ended up at the chiropractor who did an xray and said I had a ton of inflammation in my neck. 3 days of therapy and my neck is better :)

anyways.. do you think the inconsitant BM's is concerning?

I don't think so! Although, I'm not a doctor so i don't really know. BUT I notice the same types of inconsistency on a regular basis. I don't really worry about my BM's anymore. Only if they are really bloody, or non existent for a few days, I start to worry. I'm use to going all of the time, and all of the crazy colors, consistencies and what not!

Terriernut

I think 'normal' is very relative with crohns! Nausea and vomiting are a red flag, so always pay attention to that. Blood and mucus in stools is also a warning sign. Inconsistencies in stool with no other symptoms, not so much to worry about. Its the constant big D or big C, or lack of bowel movements that would also be a warning sign.

And stress....!!!! Dont stress over every little thing, almost a guarantee to bring a flare on!

Thank you both for your responses! You guys made me feel a lot better. I am a huge stresser!! It's something I need to work on, for sure!