• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I hate prednisone

Hey all
I'm a new poster here and I have a simple question. I really dislike prednisone and every side effect it has. I'm just wondering if there are any other treatments for a crohn's flare up other than prednisone? Thanks.

Possibly I'm not sure

but pred does seem too control/help fairly quickly
it just has alot of side effects like you said

I've had hospital administered hydrocortiscone before, but this is just like pred only alot stronger, also has lot the same side effects

hav you thought about trying a low fibre low residue diet while on a flare? That can help

IME Prednisone is used short term until other treatments start working. Right now I am on prednisone until I can get Remicade and then I can start tapering down. Have they given you anything else? Things like 6-MP or Azathioprine take about 2 or 3 months before you start seeing results so they usually give me pred to relieve the inflammation until then.

I really dislike the side effects to, but it really helps the symptoms. I used to get ativan to take along side it, but I forgot this time around. I really wish I would have asked because the anxiety sucks.

The only other thing I had prescribed that worked anywhere near as fast as pred was Metronidazole, an antibiotic that's occasionally used as a steroid sparing drug.

Astra

You could try Budesonide (Entocort) it is a steroid but milder than Pred.
Pred has it's horrible side effects at high doses, but during a massive flare with inflammation and pain, it is THE business!
and remember, once you taper down, the side effects go