• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I have Crohn’s but GI hasn’t prescribed meds.

I have Crohn’s but GI hasn’t prescribed meds.

Hello,
My name is Renay and I was told by my GI that I had crohn's in June of 2012. It was quite a shock for me, especially since in December of 2011 I had to have my gallbladder removed due it to barely functioning. But I was having some of the same issues even after having it out and my GI wanted to do run more tests to start ruling all forms of things out. And at 35 it was something of a shock since while I'm on the heavy side I've always ate healthy and between work and chasing a child around at home have always been on the go. I know my daughter freaked out when she heard my GI tell me I had Crohn's, and that that was probably a big part in why I can't eat certain food products. I joked with my family about it being a good thing that I love cooking both breakfast before everyone leaves for schools and work, and dinner at night. I've changed a few things that we eat at home and have taken to ordering gluten free flours and some mixes from King Author when I can't find what I need locally, and it's allowed me to continue to enjoy hot wheat bread or rolls. I know my family has only complained about good when I start putting things like artichoke hearts and fresh spinach in front of them.

I've noticed with reading a lot of the posts on here that most seem to be on medications to help reduce flare ups. But as of yet my GI hasn't wanted to try me on anything because of the allergies to medications I have, which in some cases is a pain in the rear when I'm sick at all.

Is it easier to help control flare ups with medication or diet or evening both?
I'm just wondering since I've been left to flounder per se, and I'm wishing I had thought to look for a support for when the dr first told me I had it.

my little penguin

Staff member
Have you had a second opinon ?
I would get one ASAP.
There are many different types of meds and my kiddo is extremely allergic to most things including drugs but still takes humira and Mtx.
When was your last scope or imaging or bloodwork ?
Where is your disease located ?

In my experience, most GI's push meds really hard. I'm also curious if you've had any sort of scope or imagery done recently. I could see a Dr keeping you off of meds if your scopes/imagery show no active disease... but if your disease is active...it would seem irresponsible to me for a Dr to not suggest some sort of medicine or other type of intervention. Maybe try a second opinion? How active do you think your disease is?