• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I have joined the Prednisone club!

Well, I have officially joined the Prednisone club, for 5 weeks, anyways.

My one family doctor is finally willing to give it a try for me. I know that the side effects are bad, but I can feel the relief after only 2 days. This has been the first time since I first started getting pains, January 28th/06, that I've been able to sleep on my right side. I was on Pred for 3 weeks sometime in February/06, and I remember them helping me then. This is the first doctor who was willing to give the Pred another shot since.

She put me on quite a hefty dosage - I start with 50 mg for the first week, then reduce it by 10 mg each week until 20 mg. So over this 5 week span I will take 210 Prednisone.

She says that if these don't kill the inflammation than without a proper diagnosis nothing will. She's also booking me for a colonoscopy, says that another one is a must, and I have to eat what inflames it before I get it done to have a more likely chance of an accurate diagnosis.

I was warned about some of the side effects [Thanks, Drew!] of the Pred, like the swelling, mood swings, appetite, weight gain, and hyperness. I definitely had the appetite one even on the first day. My co-workers were laughing at me because I had to keep running into the staff room for a snack. Even now, it's like I am constantly hungry. I eat, but I don't feel full. I've been TRYING to control myself.

Is there any other side effects I should know about??

you're brave! i'm always extremely resistant to taking prednisone, and i refuse to take it unless i'm in absolute agony. but it is a wonder drug when it comes to stopping the problems within a day or two. i started on a low dose (20mg) the other day because i'm having a major flare up, and i leave for vacation in a couple days and want to feel better for it! for me, the worst side-effects are the dreaded moon-face, increased anxiety, and insomnia. also, long term side effects such as bone density loss (i had osteoporosis when i was 12 years old from excessive steroid use before i had surgery.) i also just came off a run of prednisone about a month ago that started at 40mg down to 2.5mg (for a total of 6 weeks.) and i definitely got major side-effects from that. so good luck, and hope you feel better :)

Thanks for replying and warning me about the anxiety!

My doc was rather leery about putting me on Pred, but the usual dose of Cipro and Flagyl just didn't work this time [normally they do!]. I think maybe it's because the signs are pointing towards Crohn's more and more that she's giving it a shot?? I've now vomited 6 times in the past 2 months after/during eating or drinking, and it seems to be a separate trigger each time. And now when I'm in a flare I cannot even keep in water!

From what I read in your other post and everyone's replies it seems like the strongest dose anyone has been on is 40. So i guess my 50 mg is REALLY strong, huh?

The highest dose that they will usually put someone on is 60 mg... when I was first diagnosed I was on this and I had weirdo episodes... My new doc told me he was putting me on the standard high dose of 40mg and I mentioned that I had been on 60mg before and he said that was about the highest threshold.

katiesue1506 said:
The highest dose that they will usually put someone on is 60 mg... when I was first diagnosed I was on this and I had weirdo episodes... My new doc told me he was putting me on the standard high dose of 40mg and I mentioned that I had been on 60mg before and he said that was about the highest threshold.
Thanks for letting me know that.

As horrible as it sounds to most of you, I wish I was on the Pred all the time. Soooo nice to not have the slightest bit of stomach pain!

One curious question: have any of you had early morning diarrhea while on it?

I have early morning BMs... I usually go about 1-3 times before 9 o clock and then I'm done for the day. Most are formed stools though.

MHarvey, I fight taking Prednisone too and currently take Pentasa and Entocort. HIGHLY recommend the Entocort as an alternative to Prednisone. Entocort is still a steroid, however only small amounts of it are absorbed by the intestines, so none of the horrible side effects of taking prednisone are present. The Entocort helped me in only 4 days! I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

I was put on 30mg Prednisolone when first diagnosed with Crohn's and it made a massive improvement to my symptoms - probably 90-95% better. I had no side effects apart from greasy skin on my face. This was easily managed with a twice daily facial scrub and moisturiser session.

Unfortunately that dose wasn't sufficient to completely put me into remission so I am back on the Pred at 40mg this time. Hopefully I won't have any other side-effects at this higher dose. But as num1habsfan said, it's nice not to have that gnawing pain in your stomach for a change! :)

Wizbit said:
I was put on 30mg Prednisolone when first diagnosed with Crohn's and it made a massive improvement to my symptoms - probably 90-95% better. I had no side effects apart from greasy skin on my face. This was easily managed with a twice daily facial scrub and moisturiser session.

Unfortunately that dose wasn't sufficient to completely put me into remission so I am back on the Pred at 40mg this time. Hopefully I won't have any other side-effects at this higher dose. But as num1habsfan said, it's nice not to have that gnawing pain in your stomach for a change! :)
I agree with you on the major improvemnt of symptoms! The last few days I've been eating beef in large amounts (kinda as a test) and no inflammation at all! Never thought I would see that day again. I'm down to 40 mg now, I admit it's nicer to swallow only 13 pills when i wake instead of 15 :p
The arthritis side effect though is what's been worrying me because it has been pretty extreme...

yeah it feels amazing going on prednisone and getting out of that flare up but give it time and depending on your side affects you wont like it so much :(

I know what you mean about the insane hunger.. I used to eat non stop all day and night.. The hunger was so uncontrolable that i felt sick if i didnt keep eating

Hey. Sorry that you have to be on any kind of drugs to begin with, but it's good you're getting some relief. I've been on pred for quite some time, 40mg a day, and I'm just now about to begin tapering. Anyway, other side effects I've had are some anxiety, trouble sleeping, sweatiness/night sweats, acne, and heart burn. Prednisone is hard on your stomach, so my doc prescribed aciphex to help protect my stomach lining. So you might consider that. I hope you get to feeling better!